The asparagus race is underway [U.K., Ireland]

They actually have an offer on for a free bunch for loyalty card holders - which is fine if they had any!

Generally thicker but you will see the thinner stuff. Always green - I think it was only last year that the first commercial crop of white was grown here.

The classic British preparation is simply steamed or boiled and served with melted butter, as a starter. Personally, I never get bored with that and rarely do anything more inventive.

yes, I donā€™t think asparagus is ever boring, even in the simplest preparations. Where I live, olive oil would be more common than butter (especially since butter in Italy is nowhere near as good as butter in the UK). Violet asparagus is rather prized like white asparagus (but the flavor is very different) and is eaten alone. But standard green asparagus also shows up in pasta (cut short and tossed with a dry pasta thatā€™s not too thick ā€“ like farfalle or a ribbony-pasta. Maybe some almonds tossed in for protein). Asparagus tortes (with a base of eggs and ricotta) are also nice, and sometimes there is a pureed asparagus soup.

For the ultimate in unctuous luxury, napped with a homemade hollandaise. If I canā€™t wait that long, dipped straight into a soft-boiled egg. Plenty of salt.

2 Likes

How are we doing in 2018, now that weā€™re past St Georgeā€™s Day?

I only had my first of the season yesterday from Waitrose. Apparently theyā€™ve had it from early in the month so Iā€™ve been missing out, but I donā€™t shop there very often.

I almost missed it, saw it by chance, thought it was really early and then realised when it was. Now Iā€™m on the hunt.

Got some a few days back in Waitrose. With the weather having been so cold I wonder if this is the stuff grown under glass?

Still Peruvian in Sainsbury (as was most of the Waitrose stuff).

I checked my local Sainsburyā€™s today and it was from Herefordshire rather than Peru.

Iā€™m going to Worcester week after next. Thereā€™s a couple of farm shops north of the city that I plan to pop in to on the way home. Hopefully, theyā€™ll have shedloads of Vale of Evesham asparagus by then

I think the season must have properly started now. My local veg stall only has what they can get cheap as they wonā€™t shift it otherwise. 2 bundles for Ā£2.

1 Like

Absolute steal!

Even in Lidl this morning.

We stopped at two farm shops near Worcester on Friday. Local asparagus - bundles a bit bigger than supermarket size and priced at getting on for three quid. I suppose your paying for absolute freshness. We bought three bundles - one went on Friday night eaten just with melted butter. Another is going the same way tonight.

In between the first Ottolenghi recipe on this link - the one using breadcrumbs and pine nuts. Iā€™m not usually a big fan of his food - always seems to be three ingredients that are hard to find - but this was bang on. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/05/yotam-ottolenghi-asparagus-recipes

1 Like

Bit delayed but just did a dish with smidgeon of spaghetti, baby spear tips from farm next to the parentsā€™ and homemade rocket pesto. I thought it would be overpowering but it was amazing