The Amazing Ginger

The most common Thai ginger, galangal, Alpinia galanga, is blooming in the greenhouse now. I may just leave the two big plants in there; they seem happy enough.

4 Likes

Is magroot lime the current common name for the Thai limes whose former common name was an ethnic slur?
That’s a great photo of the galangal bloom

“Citrus hystrix, called the kaffir lime or makrut lime”

1 Like

Because there is really no such thing as “fresh ginger” at the grocery store.

Certainly not vis-a-vis homegrown ginger.

I’m so disappointed. I saw this thread late, but I figured there would be photos of amazingly attractive redheads.

Ok. I’m lying.

More seriously, one of my daughters has been buying bins of mixed ginger root and turmeric root, grating them and making a tea of them (there’s some other stuff she puts in there, too - cinnamon and not sure what else).

To me it tastes hideous, but she drinks it. She says the combination is good for reducing inflammation. If it works, then I’d say ginger is amazing, too.

Makrut it is, then. I don’t wish to insult anybody. Thank you!

1 Like

Fresh, free once it gets growing, and not needy or demanding as a plant. Why wouldn’t anybody who gardens grow it?

1 Like

Thanks! I had to bend the stalk over and weight it down within reach; it’s over 7 feet high. Definitely the tallest of the ginger family that I grow.