The Amazing Ginger

I planted some mutt grocery store ginger last year, and figured it died over the winter, but while watering the other day I saw that it had come back. I was pretty surprised- and pleased. Who’s grown ginger successfully if you don’t live in a warm humid environment?

3 Likes

I was all excited to respond about how great it has been to be able to grow ginger until I saw that you wanted answers from people who don’t live in a very warm and humid environment. I live in New Orleans :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m going to try it! Not humid here, but “warm” would be an understatement. Any suggestions.

1 Like

What zone do you live in? I’d love to grow ginger. WI has the humidity; but, then, there’s that winter thing.

1 Like

USDA Zone 9B,Sunset magazine zone 12. It gets hotter than God’s pizza oven in May/June/July, and gets humid late June, although this year we’re getting teased by the monsoons, no rain so far. The ginger is in a big pot in the shade and isn’t setting any growth records, but I haven’t fertilized it, never dreaming it would survive the winter frost. I think I’ll do it tomorrow.

1 Like

Ha ha! I like that. How about the devil’s pizza oven?

3 Likes

May be too late in Wisconsin, but you do have the heat and humidity right now (I’ve been to Wisconsin in the summer). Go plant you some, you may end up with a bunch of it come late fall. Plus you have that good black soil there. Ours is light beige

Okay, Satan’s pizza oven!

1 Like

You guys have a weather advantage! No fair!

Ginger is easily grow indoors for those who live in more northern or arid environments.

3 Likes

What sun expose (N,S,E,W) does ginger require when potting indoors?

I grow Japanese ginger, live in zone 8A. I never moved the pot indoor. The leaves died in autumn and come back in spring. No direct sun and humid winter. It gets sun starting from spring.

3 Likes

I’m in 6b, and I’ve been able to get some gorgeous smelling leaves out of grocery store mutt ginger, but the rhizomes never get bigger than about a thumb. I tried moving them indoors but they hated that and died soon after. I don’t think it was humid enough to thrive in our New England winters even indoors.

2 Likes

Keep in near a window that gets some sunlight, preferably not direct.

Indoor ambient temperature (approximately 22-25°C or 71-77°F) is probably more important than amount of sunlight.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m excited to try this !

2 Likes

How about growing it indoors?

Ok… gotta ask:

Fresh ginger is probably the cheapest ingredient in the produce section of the local Safeway here. And it freezes really well. So why on earth would you grow it at home?

For fun and accomplishment
Grew ginger at home :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

And to not waste it. But freezing sounds like a good idea.

2 Likes

Because fresh ginger, five minutes out of the ground, is REALLY good, dramatically better than the sad dried-out roots that you get in the store and inevitably leave in your fridge for weeks to get even drier because who uses that much ginger in a day?

Where I live, it’s literally the easiest thing you can possibly grow. I stuck a rhizome in the ground. Never watered it. Two weeks later it was growing shoots. A month later and it was a full-on plant with 10” leaves. A year later, it is the gift that keeps on giving. The root has expanded to be about a foot across, to the point where I need to break some off and give it away because who uses that much ginger in a month?

6 Likes