The Absolute WORST Christmas Candy 2022

I love Terry’s Chocolate Oranges, but only the dark chocolate version. I’ve found that, like marzipan, the chocolate/orange combination is a love/hate proposition for most people. :wink:

1 Like

I’m like that with toffee, loved it young, hard on the choppers now.

Aldi had (and still has) a huge variety of Lebkuchen this time around. I should post about it in the appropriate thread, tho :wink:

2 Likes

I stopped by a local Aldi today, and they didn’t have lebkuchen or stollen!

This looks like a nice place to check out on my next trip to Philly!

2 Likes

Well, that’s a major bummer! We have two Aldi in town (no idea why), and their aisles were packed with those things. Though I’m not sure I’ve seen the stollen on my recent visit. I find stollen a bit too dry to really enjoy it.

And as a bonus, it’s connected to Franklin Fountain (an old-fashioned ice cream parlor). https://www.franklinfountain.com/franklin-ice-cream/

Maybe the best coffee ice cream I’ve ever had. Mom was a big fan of their peach (though we were there at the height of peach season).

I’ve yet to make it there. How does it compare to Capogiro?

Very different, though both are (or were) good. Capogiro was more focused on non-traditional flavors and, of course, gelato. Franklin is much more traditional “Philadelphia” style ice cream (i.e., very heavy on the cream) and can be viewed as “touristy” with its decor and employees dressed in 19th century garb.

It depends on preference of gelato vs ice cream and modern vs traditional. But since the demise of Capogiro, I get my gelato fix in Chestnut Hill. And I now live in much closer proximity to two local dairies with homemade ice cream, so they have become my go-tos.

ETA: You live in area where I believe fresh made ice cream is easily available.

3 Likes

Wait, whatttttt?

The local ice cream isn’t all that fab, TBH. The Penn State Creamery is highly overrated in my book, Meyer’s Dairy is nice, but a bit on the watery side. Wasson farm prolly makes the best, but none are on par with what I had at Creole Creamery in NOLA recently, or what my PIC makes at home.

Cream, toasted sugar, and 8 egg yolks anyone? :scream:

We’ll have to make our way to Franklin this time around!

2 Likes

I don’t think Philly style ice cream has egg yolks–just cream, sugar and natural flavors. But I would definitely be happy with your PIC’s approach (8 yolks must make for a very rich product).

Believe it or not, I’ve never been to State College, but I have friends and relatives who love their creamery. :woman_shrugging:

Alumni will line up around the block for it. Nostalgia is a strong emotion :wink:

I’m curious about Philly-style ice cream, never having had Bassett’s (sp.?) at RTM, either. 8 yolks is insance, and yes, it makes for a super-creamy and rich ice cream. Next up: pistachio :star_struck:

1 Like

All those trips to Philly and you’ve never tried Bassett’s? :astonished: It’s very good (at least for those of us raised on it). And I believe both Bassetts and Franklin offer pistachio. Next trip you’ll have to try both.

1 Like

Thank you! I was looking at their site, having had them in the past. I don’t know how or why (well, I do know---- inflation or extortion!) the local vendors do it but they try to sell them at unaffordale prices. $12 a piece, rather than $12 for three (+ s/h) is outta my budget this year. Even See’s through our local fundraisers are no longer affordable. Lumps of coal in their stockings?

1 Like

It’s ON. We both absolutely adore pistachio. It’s one of the first things we connected on :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

$12 a piece?? Wow, even my local Balducci (not known for bargains) has them for about $3.50 a piece. Whole foods had them in the past for about $3 a piece, but not sure about this year.

1 Like

Yeah, the empty state (MT) is a supply chain desert.

2 Likes

My best friend just started the season at Big Sky. He mentioned that it’s pretty pricey and fresh vegetables are a precious commodity.

1 Like

Agree on the creamery, disagree on meyer’s dairy. I still drive 75 miles to get there. Love the high butterfat content.

1 Like

I love these too, but I’ve never had one like the one described in the article, with orange filling in the slices. The ones I like are solid chocolate with orange flavor throughout.

That said, I will absolutely destroy a bag of these:

As for the rest of the list, nougats, peeps, reindeer corn and basically all hard candy are a pass for me, but don’t hate on the classic chocolate covered cherry. If you get a quality brand’s dark chocolate version, they are the bomb!

3 Likes