The 2022 Thanksgiving Thread!

I don’t. Each year I google for the crust portion - looking for a freeform fruit tart. I peel and slice the apples very thinly and then depending on my mood, I might toss them with some lemon juice, some maple, some cinnamon, some sugar, maybe some sliced crystallized ginger… load it onto the crust, fold it up, bake it. Very ad hoc.

3 Likes

Here’s their website: https://www.roundmans.com/
The also sell some of their products at the Harvest Market in Mendocino.
We’re hoping to go to the Princess cafe for lunch. We haven’t been there yet. We used to go to Captain Flint’s in Noyo Harbor. It’s hard to explain the appeal to people who were never there…

Roundman’s has been marked as a must for the weekend. We may have to bring a cooler and some ice packs. It’s a 4 hour drive.

I unreservedly recommend the crab sandwiches at Princess. In town, Piaci’s serves an excellent pizza with a fairly wide beer selection.

A while back, when restaurants were still limited to outdoor dining, we had an absolutely lovely meal at Luna Trattoria in Mendocino. They turned the back of the property into this beautiful maze-like patio with gas heaters and I had some fabulous gnocci w/ tomato, gorgonzola, and pesto. (red,white,green).

We’re hoping to go back.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations. We’ve been going to Mendocino at least once a year since 1975, and there are always new places to try! And we’re bringing a cooler bag too.

1 Like

That’s just a good habit to get into, generally.

Trying my best to procrastinate on this beautiful day in Greater Boston. This year, it may just be the 3 of us - me, B, and our 7-year old Spring Onion, who says he’ll try turkey this year. We’ll be hanging out with family in Greenwich/Westchester county NY the week leading up to Thanksgiving so there might be early Thanksgiving meals with them (?)

I loathe dealing with a turkey. As a mostly pescatarian who doesn’t normally cook meat, I am clueless with turkey. In years past, I have had well-documented SNAFUs. But B is a traditionalist when it comes to holidays, so we compromised. I ordered breast and leg and green bean casserole from a reputable local place, Season to Taste:

Herb Rubbed Breast and Confit Leg with Sherry Gastrique • Free-Range Organic Turkey
Their description: Say goodbye to dry over cooked turkey! We marinate the breast in fresh herbs and then sous vide to the perfect temperature. For the leg, we cook it slowly in duck fat until the meat is nice and tender. On Thanksgiving, roast at a high temperature to reheat & crisp up the skin in under 30 minutes. Slice the breast, drizzle with the Sherry gastrique and serve!

I also ordered a lobster pie and gravy from a local chain, Summer Shack

I will make sides…mashed potatoes, Brussels, out of the bird stuffing. Will serve kimchee and rice alongside.

I should cross-post to GBA to see if any of the Boston Onions have experience with either place for takeout Thanksgiving.

10 Likes

I’ll be bringing my former MIL’s heart attack mashed potatoes and green bean casserole made from scratch to my parents’ house. Same as usual. I miss when I used to host the holiday for the family.

8 Likes

It’s just the three of us, no traveling and no visitors (unless my brother decides to hit the road, which I’d give <10% chance of…). I haven’t figured out a menu yet, but unfortunately we tend to (a) have the same dishes every year, and (b) not all want the same sides or desserts. So every year it’s a bit of a struggle to accommodate everyone and yet streamline.

I’m posting now, though, to share a discovery we made a few years ago. Everyone loves appetizers, right? But tons of yummy apps right before a big dinner (with many desserts) is just plain foolish. We now have appetizers for LUNCH. Bring on the pigs in blankets, cheese spreads, etc. early in the day, and then recover in the afternoon (while cooking dinner). It’s been life-changing. :joy:

12 Likes

That’s our meal plan for pretty much all of December - skip the meals, bring on the holiday snacks.

9 Likes

Would like to know that recipe. Can’t be any worse than what we do (big-time butter, whole milk, a pat of cream cheese some years).

1 Like

I ordered my turkey a few weeks ago, but I’m finally upgrading the bird. Ironically, with a family member battling illness, I don’t know what folks will be up for this year but I am likely landing a bird in the 15-18lb range, and I usually go for a 13-14 lb bird. In the last few years, I have just enough leftovers for the folks who want it. I figure this year, every one can take more home, or I get more turkey soup or congee out of the deal.

I’ve also always spatchcocked, but with a bigger bird, I think I’m just going to have to go further and break those parts up. The 14lb just fit in the large pan I had, so this will not work with a bigger bird. The good news is spreading this out amongst roasted veggies and faster cooking time I hope. I need to drastically clean out room in both my fridges to fit this bird for it’s dry brine. stress!

7 Likes

We are staying local this year, not traveling to see family this time, as they are quite far and we just saw them a few weeks ago and are hosting them again in a few weeks for Christmas. I feel some guilt about not going to the Midwest to join the crew (parents and my sister’s family) celebrating there, but i’m feeling particularly worn out this season.

Our plan for just our family of 4 is very traditional and one we’ve been quite pleased with before:

Herb roasted bone in turkey breast (Ina’s recipe)
gravy
sausage/apple stuffing
mashed potatoes
whipped cayenne sweet potatoes
green beans with shallots
[possible another vegetable – corn or roasted brussel sprouts?]
fresh cranberry orange relish
rolls (we may make these from scratch this year)
pumpkin pie

There’s very little room for variation here, as there’s so much tradition tied to most of the menu. I make the breast when it’s just our small family and not need for a big bird as when we are with the rest of the family. The sausage apple stuffing is m mom’s recipe and it’s a must for me and my hubby, though the kids aren’t quite as attached to it.

The spicy sweet potatoes are my 13 yo daughter’s signature dish. no one is messing with those. the cranberry relish is one i’ve been making since high school. My 9 yo son has now decided that it’s “his” dish to execute without interference from me.

I raised the idea of a different dessert and was frowned at – apple pie at thanksgiving is ok if it’s a second alternative to the pumpkin, but can’t be the only. with only 4 of us and unlikely to finish the leftovers, i can’t justify making 2 pies just for variety. but i HAVE considered making something like a pear frangipane tart as a nice second option. i probably won’t as i’m the only one that will think it’s appealing, but i’m toying with some mini version just to amuse myself and throw in a bit of variety.

10 Likes

Yes! We have appetizers for breakfast AND lunch :rofl:

(Also mimosas start with the first arrival, whatever time that is. Whether with OJ or “fruit-free” :wink:)

4 Likes

Love the traditions for each dish!

Can you make two small pies instead? I bought small quiche pans that work well for mini pies and tarts.

I’m a thanksgiving dessert dud - I like none of the (many) options we have on offer, and occasionally insert something else (brownies, mini olive oil or bundt cake) but then have no room to eat it, so there’s that.

2 Likes

Would you consider an apple strudel with puff pastry? Trader Joe has their new batch frozen puff pastry in now. One recipe I saw has you put apple mixture down the middle, then you cut one inch strips on both sides then fold them over the top. Looks fancy but not difficult.

6 Likes

We start every Thanksgiving dinner with a bowl of plain steamed white rice.

It’s a way to remind all of us how thankful we should be for the abundance of food, family and friendship that we all have.

17 Likes

5 pounds of cooked peeled potatoes
1 stick butter
2 blocks of cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
kosher salt and pepper to taste

I “mash” them with the paddle in my KitchenAid and then whip the hell out of them with the wire wisk. Like for 5-8 minutes. They can be made a day or two in advance and just heated up day-of. They actually are very light thanks to the whipping. My former mother-in-law gave me the recipe (which came from her mother). My friends and family go nuts for them but there is a reason I make them only once or twice a year. haha

11 Likes

Revising my thoughts after some discussions, and also as a result of feeling like crap this week.

Baked brie (en croute, puff pastry) will most likely make a comeback to our appetizer/day-grazing table as I have a wheel in the freezer I’d like to use up (and my aunt has puff pastry and hot pepper jelly in stock).

Stuffed mushrooms elicited some excitement, but they may be a last-minute addition based on how much energy I have.

Nixing the fish mousses/rillettes (as they did not elicit similar excitement).

I’m toying with the idea of curing salmon again as smoked salmon is a permanent fixture and home-cured is considered an upgrade (by others: I’m happy enough with store-bought, but glad to make it for them).

10 Likes

I make the ina herb roasted Turkey breast too. It is fabulous

1 Like

Sorry you are feeling crappy. Re: stuffed mushrooms, I still make and everyone always likes the old Silver Palate spinach-stuffed mushrooms recipe. One thing I particularly like about it is that the mushrooms are WAY easier to stuff if the stuffing is cold (in other words, ideal make-ahead step). Also the stuffing freezes well - sometimes I make a double batch and freeze half and then I can have stuffed mushrooms whenever I want. Hope you feel better soon!

6 Likes