Thanksgiving visit 2023 [Yonkers, NY; Greenwich, CT]

The “cousins from Boston” went down to Mamaroneck for Thanksgiving (reported on the WFD Nov thread). With 3 kids 9 and under, we had to get out of the house on the beautiful Friday after. We visited the Hudson River Museum for the first time (great museum that kids and adults alike enjoyed). We needed lunch close by as some were entering hangry territory, so we chose Fortina Yonkers and it was a good choice. Our Spring Onion and his cousins loved the margherita. The 6 adults dug into funghi white pizza, the Ray’s (basically like a NYC slice), the tenderoni, Paulie’s pie with Sunday sauce/meatballs. Two good big salads, one with just arugula and the other the pizzeria salad. Nice light creamy dressing for the latter. Lambrusco, IPAs for beverages. Friendly service and cool space.

We stayed with B’s sister for 1 night (on the border of Old Greenwich/Stamford). We snacked at lunch and then they ordered takeout from Applausi for dinner. Honestly, the food was good (we’ve eaten their food on previous visits) but not terribly interesting or earth-shattering and overpriced, but it’s a place that they know and love. And they opened a nice bottle of wine. A really comfy cozy evening spent with family. There was an asparagus app, paccheri with mushroom, linguine and clams, spaghetti and meatballs, a very big chicken Milanese. Didn’t take photos of the plated food.

7 Likes

You were in my 'hood! As a mostly residential/medical neighborhood, Northwest Yonkers doesn’t have a ton of restaurant options - you chose well. For your next visit, Taco Project in the same complex (Boyce Thompson Center) is also good for a more casual option. There is a new Japanese fusion place in there as well (Enbu) that is getting decent reviews, but I haven’t been yet.

Another good option is to venture a couple miles farther north on Warburton into the village of Hastings on Hudson, where Bread & Brine, Boro 6 Wine Bar and St. George Bistro are all great choices. I expect both NW Yonkers and Hastings will see an uptick in new restaurants as the huge Lionsgate location going in next door to Boyce Thompson progresses.

2 Likes

We are big fans of Boro 6 and Bread and Brine!

2 Likes

After the Opus, you switched to the house Caymus and Silver Oak? :wink:

1 Like