Thanksgiving, Baby!

Really thrown for a loop this year. BIL’s sister died suddenly last night; obviously we’re not feasting at that home this year. Sis & BIL will cook dinner for their family in a very somber mood. Very sad.

Apparently my other sis, her husband, my adult autistic nephew and my niece, her husband and three children will now come to my house. So I now have four days to prepare for 7 adults and 3 kids (ages 2-12).

Throw into the mix my refrigerator whacked out last week and the repairman is coming Tuesday to rebuild the defrosting mechanism and install the new icemaker. And yes, it’s necessary, as the defrost cycle was shorting out.

I was going to spend Wed baking. Now I have to go get my free turkey from Giant, figure out my sides and scale back the desserts.

What do you think? Whatever sis2 brings as apps. Garden salad. Giant turkey. Mashed potatoes. Green beans. Cranberry sauce. Pumpkin bars. Choc pie?

I want to provide a nice meal for the kids and the niece/nephew-in-law who know, but not well, BIL’s sis. But BIL’s sis has also been part of the family for 20+ years.

And am I wrong to feel bad even asking this question?

You haven’t lived till you’ve motor-boated the turkey at Thanksgiving dinner.

2 Likes

Somehow, I have no doubts about your being able to step up and meet the challenge. Some years the focus shifts from what’s on the table to those who’ve gathered around it. Simplify a bit, be patient, and trust yourself. I’m sure your family will end up with full bellies and grateful hearts.

My condolences to your family - and hope that you’ll still find some lingering magic in the holiday.

3 Likes

Sunday morning, reading the New York Times, Arthur Brooks’s essay struck me as worth sharing for part of the holiday preparations: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/opinion/sunday/choose-to-be-grateful-it-will-make-you-happier.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

1 Like

Thanks M, that was a nice read. Mom (lives with me) wanted to cancel Thanksgiving as there was nothing to be thankful about when a young person dies (full disclosure: my oldest sis died suddenly 14 years ago). We reminded her of the three daughters, 2 SsIL, 7 grandchildren, 3 great grandkids. I’m going to print that article out for her.

Thanks for your confidence. As you say, I just need to simplify and pull through.

Now I’m tearing up again :cry: Thanks for the kind thoughts.

1 Like

gaffk – warm and healing thoughts to all of you…hoping that being together helps to ease some of the pain this year.

1 Like

Thanks Sunshine.

Sorry yes cranberry sauce poor choice of words. I make a simple one with orange zest and grand marnier but my family, at least a few of them, love it. Before i started making it we just put out, and threw away, a can of jelly nobody in memory touched. As an Italian American family I think the cranberry was almost there for obligation, an homage of sorts WASP America. Stuffed artichokes still get more play but at least now the cranberry is proper.

These days I’m a spectator at TG. After decades of hanging with my very large family we now travel to my wives family. Guests at her aunt and uncles. I don’t get to make anything

Last year at her moms I decided to update the sweet potatoes with mini-marshmallows with a roasted mashed sweet potato dish with thyme, a touch of maple syrup and roasted pecans. I thought is was excellent but the dinners wanted their mini marshmallows. Go figure

“wives” plural??? LOL

1 Like

When I was teaching English as a second language (to adult professionals) my students were fascinated by Thanksgiving, so I had a huge pile of lessons built around the holiday - the history, the menu, traditions, etc. One of the favorites was a slideshow of typical dishes – when the photo of the sweet potato casserole came up, there was always the question of what the white stuff was. Guesses usually veered toward bechamel, cheese, creme fraiche, or even savoury whipped cream. NOBODY ever guessed it was marshmallows, and I’m not sure some of them ever believed me. Your recipe sounds lovely – but sweet potato casserole with marshmallow has happily never had a place on our family table (even before I was the cook).

Mother used pecans in the place of marshmallows.

that I can understand – the two play very well together!

(it always fascinates me a little to see how foods that are raised in same/similar regions frequently pair well on the plate, too)

1 Like

I never thought about that. I had an uncle who had an insurance agency. Even after he sold it he would still call on his insureds in South Georgia and bring back all the pecans we wanted. Nice memory :smile:

Since there is talk of Thanksgiving . What do you do the night before and the day after ? We have a cocktail party preparing food for Thanksgiving day . Day after a great breakfast , a long walk , then settle in for the evening with wine and leftovers .

:blush: oops

LOL :slight_smile: I knew what you meant. I think :slight_smile:

This Thanksgiving will be about the family being together and helping each other through.

1 Like

I’m sorry to read of your loss, and your mothers ongoing struggle in dealing with that loss. All too many times, we get lost focusing only on the negative or bad events in life, we completely lose sight of the good that still surrounds us. In your case that is the 3 daughters, 2 SIL, 7 grand kids and 3 great grand kids.

Times like this, while I don’t normally endorse going against a parents wishes, I think it’s important you don’t do as she requests and cancel a holiday of this nature. Sometimes when someone is lost in grief, they simply forget how to be happy, and as silly as it sounds, just watching others be happy to be surrounded by happiness can bring them comfort and mostly remind them they can smile again.

God bless you and your family! (mom especially) Happy Thanksgiving!!

1 Like