Thanksgiving 2023

Or rice them, and the peels stay in the ricer.

2 Likes

This is the recipe my cousin uses. https://www.bestofbridge.com/elsies-potatoes/

Have you tried the Serious Eats (Kenji) method? He uses russets, peels, places in cold water. Cubes the potatoes and rinses a few times in cold water. Bring to a boil in fresh cold water, simmer for 15 minutes (mine take about 20) then drain and rinse with hot water for 30 seconds.

We have been buying various stuffing mixes in the last few months and Stovetop is the worst. As you said, too salty to begin with. All others can be great if you add enough celery and onions. My stuffing comes out as almost 50% vegetables. Sauteed in peanut oil. For T-day I might add tart apples as well which have worked out in the past for me.

2 Likes

I just read a mashed potatoes recipe on CNN today. It starts with scrubbed unpeeled potatoes in cold water. You rub off the peels after the potatoes are boiled, skipping altogether the step of
having to peel raw potatoes. https://www.cnn.com/wbd/how-to-make-mashed-potatoes-step-by-step/index.html

3 Likes

That’s what I do for potato salad.

3 Likes

This year’s dirty little secret

3 Likes

Trader Joe’s is the worst and makes Stovetop taste like homemade.

2 Likes

Mixer, not food processor, right? Decadent!

That lunch sounds like a terrific plan @mts!

If I didn’t live multiple states away I’d come help. I find peeling potatoes quite meditative. Also if you have an old peeler please invest in a brand-new one - you will be amazed what a difference a sharp new blade makes. That recipe sounds delicious!

4 Likes

Homemade is best! I, too have veggies in mine (sauteéd 'rooms, diced celery, diced onions) and I make it with old real sour bread cubes. My herbs come from my garden. The key for me is the ratio of veg to bread. I want each forkful to contain a bit of bread and a bit of the veg combo. If I were to add oysters or ham or any of the other items that are added in stuffings then that ratio will change. My stuffing is always baked in a casserole dish, never in the bird.

1 Like

I found I really disliked the newer kind of peelers that you pull toward yourself. On Amazon I found a Pampered Chef one that you peel away and love it.

2 Likes

I like my new peeler from Joseph Joseph.

Ditto. I have one of these I got when I first moved out on my own, and I’ll stick with it. No idea of who made it.

My stepfather had one similar to this - where you pulled it towards you (if you were a right-handed peeler, which I am). Could never get the hang of it.

4 Likes

@Desert-Dan This may already have been posted (I haven’t read through the whole thread) but thought I’d link a recipe I saved from the old Chowhound that everyone sang praises of both for ease of execution and for outcome in case it’s helpful.

The Amazing Five-Hour Roast Duck
Source: The Vinegar Factory newsletter
Cook: Mindy Heiferling
Reprinted in: The 150 Best American Recipes

You can salt the bird a day ahead and air out (like dry brining turkey or chicken / aka Judy bird), vary the temp (Food 52 has one at 250F cooked for a bit longer), add water to the pan, vary the flavor profile, or just stick with the basic version for a first try.

(Roast potatoes in some of the saved duck fat while the duck rests, and you’ll never want them done a different way :D)

4 Likes

Your first picture is exactly like the first peeler I ever bought. In college. I think a lot of the “improved” models … well… aren’t.

3 Likes

I used to have one with a slot at the end to french green beans!

1 Like

@NJChicaa I know people have strong feelings on peeling potatoes before vs after, but with 10# to do, you may want to try one of the easy-peel methods that boil or steam the potatoes whole and peel after.

Two such methods that work for me:
(1) Boil or steam (pressure cooker / instant pot is easy and quick) or microwave potatoes whole (stab each a few times to speed it up), dump into a bowl of cold tap water, then hold each potato and gently twist by turning hands in opposite directions – peel slides off. (You can also do this under running water, so the water is colder for each potato, but I don’t like to waste that much water.)

(2) Mark a thin line / shallow cut around the equator of each potato before boiling/steaming. Do the same as above. Slightly easier in that the skin is already evenly broken and getting it to twist off takes less effort, but that effort goes into the prep at the beginning.

2 Likes

I love the Serious Eats turkey instructions/recipe. The excised backbone isn’t roasted, but goes into a saucepan with the neck, giblets, and aromatics to turn chicken broth into magical gravy broth.