Thanksgiving 2023

Question: Do you have a bicycle tire pump and an electric fan?

Careful, the larger enameled cast iron are so heavy!!! And for roasting you shouldn’t use something all the way up the sides.

You were planning to remove the pan and pizza stone at same time?? Much too hot. Maybe you can find a SS roasting pan at Goodwill or something.

I love half sheet pans, only discovered kinda late in life, but this would never do to roast a whole anything, like Madrid said.

2 Likes

Try this link: https://web.archive.org/web/20160320050100/http://missoulian.com:80/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/greg-patent-duck-done-right/article_7bc49dc6-c936-5c28-950c-8e7ed7c65e52.html

2 Likes

You’re going to want a rack of some sort to hold your duck well above the fat that it releases, too. If you go with a disposable pan (like a lasagna size one), you should be able to fit a half sheet baking tray under it for stability, rather than dealing with the weight of your pizza stone.

4 Likes

The method is low and slow. I’ve tried many different ways to roast a turkey and low and slow wins. Once I did a spatchcock, excellent, but I didn’t want to cut it myself and it took some persuasion to get the Safeway butcher to do it.

1 Like

Thanks… that worked, just printed it off.

I’ll keep looking…

Thanks for getting that through!

If you spatchcock the turkey and roast it, I guarantee you’ll get the bestest, crispiest skin ever.

And the meat won’t be dried out!

(the hunk at the bottom is the removed backbone … and the parson’s nose)

7 Likes

The plans are set for our family’s early Thanksgiving Day meal. We did brunch here last year. Lunch it is!
On the menu is cold roast turkey sandwiches, salad sides, a soup I hear and a dessert ‘bar’.
I’ll do the heritage turkey the day before and get the bread choices and sandwich makings together. I might bake that cottage cheese/dill/onion bread. Usually the choices are croissants, whole grain and sour dough. Then of course, I have to have basil mayo to make my sandwich with on a croissant. I’ll put out some sliced cheeses and other condiments. Less work for me and everyone can get to their evening dinner plans and I’ll have leftovers for the next day and it’ll be easy clean up for me. Getting the family all together for the holiday picture is the hard part!

7 Likes

I roast chickens on them. The excess floorspace prevents spatter all over the oven floor, and the low sides promote a great, crisp skin.

1 Like

Pierce the skin (only) several times during the roasting process to help release the fat. And make sure your kitchen is well ventilated. As previously mentioned, duck grease runs hot.

1 Like

And it will take about half the time. I cooked a 12-pounder in less than an hour the last Thanksgiving I cooked for.

2 Likes

My last prepandemic Thanksgiving I spatchcocked and high temp roasted Capons on a sheet pan. Ooh the spatter! I had to do the dreaded self-clean for the oven. Even the steam clean and a lot of pre-scrubbing wasn’t enough. Capons are very fatty (duh). Learned my lesson. But chickens? These days, for roasting, always spatchcocked and always on a sheet pan. Crispy skin!

1 Like

I was thinking of the rack, too, so the fat can drain off the bottom of the duck. One of my cooling racks fits right into the LeCreuset roasting pan. It’s rectangular and is 2.75 inches deep.

A LeCresuet casserole is way too deep to roast. It would be fine for stewing or braising, but not roasting. And I also agree that putting a double or even triple layer of a disposable rectangular lasagna- like pan on top of a half sheet pan is much more stable than trying to move it off a pizza stone.

5 Likes

I use cooling racks rather than roasting racks on my sheet pans.
I also put disposable roasting pans on top of sheet pans because they just aren’t sturdy enough to avoid disasters.

4 Likes

Thank you for the tip!!
Yes, Sunshine requested “crispy skin” several times, she also wants some orange sauce on the side. I can buy the orange sauce from Target or Walmart.

1 Like

Yep! It’s fast. Mine was 12 lbs.

I’m suggesting you make your own orange sauce, it shouldn’t be difficult and will be superior.

Maybe others here will suggest recipes.

2 Likes

Thanks… I’ll look on-line for an easy recipe.

I’m so “out of my league” with this duck.

I’m definitely going to try, but I’m picturing a complete failure and having to make pasta on Thanksgiving.