Thanksgiving 2023

I just wash/scrub them well, or use a vegetable peeler to remove a thin layer.

3 Likes

Only if they look REALLY bad. And even then, I try to shave off the bad parts rather than remove the entire outer layer. Very jealous of your fennel haul - the bulbs looked pretty bad this week at my local stores as well. Fortunately, I lucked into one nice one that had been buried among a bunch of sad ones - it is an important component in my stuffing and it just wouldn’t have been the same without it!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Wondra was part of my doomsday Pandemic stash!!!

3 Likes

This one from King Arthur doesn’t have pay wall. Maple Glaze optional. I haven’t tried it, but I’ve never had a recipe failure from King Arthur after countless attempts.

4 Likes

Soup with vegetables and fiber and crudités with same might be a great light prelude to your Thanksgiving feast. I hope older girl is healing well.

2 Likes

Hi Onions… I’m making make-ahead mashed potatoes for the first time. I’m seeing on Serious Eats that they recommend transferring the mashed potato (sans milk) from the pot to an airtight container with plastic wrap covering the potato. Seems a little fussy to me… Is it necessary? If plastic wrap is necessary, can’t I just cover mashed potatoes in the same pot in which we are transporting the potatoes to New York from Boston to which I will add milk when I warm them up?

Apologies for wonky grammar/syntax…I’m getting wonky myself!

3 Likes

Depending on the looks of the fronds I use both :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is my favorite stuffing recipe; I always double it: (Charlie Trotter’s recipe)

I don’t include carrots or cranberries but do add toasted almond slivers, chunks of peeled apples, sliced fresh water chestnuts (they stay crispy!!) sauteed leek slices and shallots. I also add 1 1/2 Tablespoons Bell’s Seasoning and, lately, 3 minced serranos, seeds removed, 4 minced garlic cloves, a cup of freshly grated Parmesan.

Someone gave me a frozen Butterball but it’s 21 lbs (I’ve been buying under 14 lbs because I’ve had better luck with hens. Since it would not thaw in time for T-Day, I’m saving it in my freezer for Christmas dinner. I think it will take 7 days to thaw in my 38 degree fridge, right?

Out of all the methods of cooking a turkey, I now prefer the “low & slow” method. Before, big turkeys came out stringy for me but maybe I overcooked? What is your experience with the big ones?

howtocookathanksgivingturkey.com (this is the low and slow method)

1 Like

Soup is always welcoming. We’re doing turkey ‘sandwishes’ on croissants and hearty homemade vegetable soup for those who prefer to go meatless tomorrow. I’m hearing three baked desserts are going to be the finale.

2 Likes

H made scones for dessert - half cranberry, half papaya. They came out great!

And he only called me into the kitchen for advice 187 times (he doesn’t bake much).

12 Likes

I really love this Bobby Flay recipe but I always double it, always use a cut resistant glove for slicing the sweet potatoes with a mandoline (you can use a sharp knife instead).

From reading comments on the recipe, less cream is much better, so, for a double recipe, 3 cups of cream instead of 4.

As I mentioned earlier, I hate to take a tablespoon from the can of chipotles in adobo and waste the rest so I freeze the rest, after several months in the freezer, I toss out. My best friend loves this recipe but when he made it he took liberties and put way more than a tablespoon of chipotles and it was too hot for his family; he was the only one who ate it! I keep telling him, follow the recipe!!

Here are the ingredients:

3 cups heavy cream (original recipe had 4 cups … 3 cups is best)

1 – 2 heaping Tablespoons chipotle pepper puree (from canned chipotle in adobo) (You put cream and chipotle in a blender but don’t overblend or it will become like butter!)

6 medium sweet potatoes, (buy the really red ones) peeled and thinly sliced 1/8-inch thick (3.5 – 4 lbs)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

6 Likes

I haven’t seen scones made in the muffin pan until now. How clever!

3 Likes

Works good!

Yum! Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, they can travel in the pot. A lid is fine. No plastic necessary. Add a spritz of oil if you are concerned about drying out. I made mine today including the milk and will reheat for our meal.

2 Likes

I love this one too (and agree, a little less cream is better). I use the higher amount of chipotle. So good!

Every boyfriend’s mama’s and my MIL’s made turkey gravy identically: Wondra and a quart ball jar. I learned how to make gravy from a wonderful retired Navy cook who ran the stoves in one of the hospitals I worked in…Gravy by the 5 + gallon bucket. So good, not a lump and no Wondra.

1 Like

And the secret is…? :grin:

I dunno, I ate the last of my weekend leftovers today, and the potatoes were still as good as the first day.

I’d just make them to completion, as long as you can keep them cold on your drive down (the only reason I can think of not to add milk before travel is if you’re worried it will turn). The plastic wrap might be to prevent oxidation, but ime that only affects raw potatoes.

1 Like