Thanksgiving 2023

I linked the wrong article. I didn’t even read the recipe! Sorry. I thought I had seen a dry brined spatchcocked turkey from Kenji or Serious Eats somewhere this year. I think it was this one in the NYT (should be a gift link).

He writes " Back in 2009, during my time as culinary director at Serious Eats, I landed on a turkey roasting method that hinged on two killer techniques: dry-brining and spatchcocking (a.k.a. butterflying), which each help produce moist, juicy white meat and succulent, flavorful dark meat in a nearly foolproof manner."

I wonder if he recommend washing in all his poultry recipes. :thinking: It looks like the recipe linked in the "[The Best Simple Roast Turkey With Gravy Recipe was initially published in 2014. I left a comment.

P.S. I still want a baking steel! Different thread.

3 Likes

There will be a vegetable soup to go with the sandwiches and sides.

1 Like

Me, too.

Well, I’ve gone from being determined to skip thanksgiving this year to being lined up for two, so that’s where I am.

First thanksgiving will be the usual extended family dinner (that I was going to skip), shifted to the weekend prior.

Actual thanksgiving will be semi-local with one or another set of friends, still tbd.

My contributions to the first:
— Apps: Cured salmon, Kheema puff pastry spirals
— Meal: Stuffing balls, crisp roasted Brussels sprouts
— Hostess & kid gifts: Orange olive oil cake, Brownies

My ideas for the second (will need to be run by the hosts):
— Apps: Cured salmon, Crab dip or brandade or pate or pav bhaji fondue
— Main Meal: tbd side depending on the rest of the menu
— Grazing / other meals: Quiche, Dorie’s apero bread or one of Chetna Makan’s spiced quick loaves
— Hostess gift / dessert: Orange olive oil cake, Brownies

I started on the cured salmon today (two pieces) and made the kheema for the puff pastry app.

Will wait to bake the cake and brownies till closer to the weekend, and round 2 when I get back between the two events.

6 Likes

I’ve been involuntarily sidelined from doing Thanksgiving, it seems. First, my shoulder inexplicably started bothering me… can’t lift or reach. Had my first PT visit yesterday. Tendonitis. Go figure. No way it will get fixed before Thanksgiving. Cooking one-handed isn’t going to fly for feeding guests! Then, my combo microwave/range vent hood/convection oven/light over the stove that I bought new 4 years ago, died. Looking at YOU, G.E. Won’t even light up. Checked the breaker box and unplugged and replugged it in. It was previously fixed twice under warranty. So I decided to replace it, but the new unit can’t be delivered and installed until the 28th. So … Thanksgiving for 1. I’ll do something that doesn’t require lifting. Like a turkey tv dinner. I have a backup doll-sized microwave.

10 Likes

I am wishing you and your microwave situation a speedy recovery. :pray:t5:

8 Likes
2 Likes

May your shoulder heal quickly. Go easy on yourself, pretty please.

The husband and I are again not traveling or hosting this year, which we did most of our adult lives. So we’ve decided to keep it simple and for sure turkey-free. Nobody in this house is too enthusiastic about turkey, not even the pooch. Need to think about what the T’Day meal will be.

4 Likes

When my dad was alive and just the two of us for Thanksgiving we got a small chicken for Tday and the leftovers went into soup. We had the usual sides with the chicken - brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, etc. It was nice not having several years worth of leftover turkey to plow through :grinning:

4 Likes

Can you travel or go with someone out for a meal?
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

1 Like

Interesting.
Our Canadian turkey farms had a lot of bird flu over the past 18 months, which drove Canadian turkey prices up. I think I paid around $50 Cdn (I dunno , $37 USD?[edit: my guess was close today, $50 CAD = $36.60 USD today]) for my 11 lb turkey .

Some people living in Canada drive over the border to Buffalo for ridiculously cheap turkeys, especially cheap utility birds that might be $1 USD/lb.

My dream when I get to go solo for turkey day is a roast, a really nice roast with everything I want as a side. Not sure if it would be a beast roast, a pork or lamb roast. When the time comes…

4 Likes

I’ve seen “Butterball” and “Jennie-O” brands for less than $1/lb (US) in past years. Last year I bought a big, to me, turkey for a ridiculous low amount, like 50¢ a pound. I’m going ‘heritage’ this year and it is going to cost a bundle, but it will be worth the experiment.
Forty years ago my employer used to give each of us hard workers a check (a traceable business expense) for $25 to cover the Thanksgiving dinner. The two of us could easily dine out for that amount at one of the dinner clubs or restaurants that were open on Thanksgiving. We were usually going to family members homes and bringing a dish or two then.

2 Likes

We are going to spend brunch in a national steak/seafood chain restaurant slurping seafood and looking out over the Manhattan skyline.

7 Likes

That’ll do!

1 Like

my all-time record for oysters was 8 dozen but I was a lot younger and fatter back then. If you count tiny Olympias, I did 10 dozen once but that was the equivalent of 2 or 3 dozen ‘regular’ oysters. And an oyster farm had to pull the plug on an experiment as the oysters were so tiny at 4 years old. A buddy of mine, the farm owner, and I ate all 400 remaining oysters but the oysters were the size of a small pea.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! Olympias— used to have them when I was a kid in the SF BA. Seafood. I see food, I eat it. Waiting for the Dungeness to come in, if it does.

2 Likes

It’s funny how often people say this, and feel it. Myself included! We should start a thread on foods you eat even though you don’t particularly like them. I’m guessing there would be a few “healthy” choices therein.

4 Likes

I was lobbying for a non-turkey main as technically we are having family dinner not thanksgiving dinner, and there is going to be a second, smaller thanksgiving dinner on Thursday with half the group.

But no. Even though most of us don’t love turkey, we are having turkey “because X doesn’t eat beef or lamb, and Y doesn’t eat pork, so this is just easier” — except we have had many a Christmas and Easter dinner with roast beef or lamb as the main, and chicken for the person not eating that.

The fanfare of pulling a burnished turkey out of the oven is worth something to the host. It’s fine, we shall eat sides.

3 Likes

At a kabab place last weekend, fully cooked tandoori turkey for order:

6 Likes