Thanksgiving 2023

During what stage of the process?

I totally agree that once is enough. I boil chunked potatoes in salted water, push them through the tamis, plucking off the skins as I go, and stir in Mexican crema. It is my new take on instant mashed potatoes.

4 Likes

His recipe says cold water, 1 T salt, simmer covered

Saregama, I’d love to try these this year, for one of our 2 stuffings. How big do you make the balls (golf ball, baseball, softball?) and what temp/time do you use? Do you try to spritz them with oil on the outside before baking? And do you need to do anything special to make the balls cohere? Thanks so much!

1 Like

Oh, yeah, I would cover. I don’t simmer things uncovered unless I’m trying to reduce them.

2 Likes

Here you go

2 Likes

I use my NESCO for turkeys every year. Love it. But, then we all have the same dilemma. Crispy skin doesn’t exist on a NESCO bird, so the skin freaks lose out.

I was thinking about switching gears, though, and breasting the bird out, removing the thighs as well, and braising the thighs, and making the breasts like two roasts. Boil the hell out of the carcass left, toss to the yotes. The thighs are my TG highlight.

I usually have to feed 12-16, and this year only my 4, so the pressure is off. Ahhh!

2 Likes

These are the turkeys I got from Wild Fork.

I probably should have shared those pics nekkid
I hope using the word nekkid doesn’t set me up for something dodgy in my curated feed

I have given the whole one to BIL to fry, and I am dry-brining the breast with salt and Whole Spice Honey BBQ spice rub.

For dinner I had salt fish and akee, fried plantain, bread fruit, and avocado (“pear”).

Here’s pictures of son learning to roll domas from dil

And her “Friends giving” menu.

Turkish Style Mac and Cheese :open_mouth:

22 Likes

I am curious to find out what Turkish mac 'n cheese is. How is it different from the North American version?

Also, I like the idea of a Prosecco bar :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The first translation of “fırında makarna” I happened upon translated to pastitsio, but I see a few versions. I think this one is in Turkish.

…like the idea of a Prosecco bar :slight_smile:

Yes! I am already in Georgia (state, not country) , so this is second hand.

3 Likes

What a fantastic and unusual Thxgiving meal! I would love that.

5 Likes

I just made this and the bourbon definitely does not cook off. Delicious! I added a tablespoon of my fermented habanero sauce to tip into spicy territory.

3 Likes

My liquid almost all cooks off. I’ve thought about adding part of a minced serrano. So far, when I make my favorite stuffing, Charlie Trotters (I don’t put cranberries, add sliced fresh water chestnuts, slivered almonds, chunks of peeled apple. It’s sourdough bread and for a double recipe now I add 3 minced serranos, just gives a little kick.

So happy you like the recipe, my friends love it. I made 5 of them today, gave 4 away. Very tiring zesting all those oranges! House smells lovely still. I had some on a toasted English muffin with cream cheese.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I second the proseco bar idea.:cocktail:

3 Likes

Hi, can you go on a bit more about the beet-tinged salmon? It looks simply fantastic. Do the beets add a bit of flavor to the salmon?

Sure, here’s the thread where I described it a bit more.

No flavor; I thought it might add a bit sweetness, but there’s already sugar in the cure.

Having never added tint before, I was a bit wary and went very light (1 small beet for 1lb of salmon, some recipes called for 1:1 but I didn’t want it completely purple :joy:).

I had run out of beets when I started the cure, so I added them next day after I got some more. It was a very pretty presentation, purple-tinged on the outer rim of every slice, arranged as rosettes on a marble board. (Wish I hadn’t forgotten to take a pic, but everyone showed up 2 hours early right then, so we could hang out longer, and it was a bit nuts getting the cheese board set out, puff pastry spirals into the oven, and so on.)

I might go up to 2 small beets next time for a slightly deeper tint, though 1 beet for the full 3 days might also do the trick.

6 Likes

Inspired by the delicious vegetarian and vegan choices on that Friendsgiving menu.

Some of our extended family who used to partake of the traditional Thanksgiving turkey no longer do. A meze approach sounds festive. Noting for future reference, yum.

3 Likes

I just moved my duck from the freezer to the refrigerator to start the thawing process. I’ve done some research and read all of the recipes, provided on the forum. (thank you, all)
I consulted my mother who has cooked a few ducks, but not many. She said my Dad’s mother cooked quite a few. My mother passed on what tricks/recipe my (paternal) grandmother had given her.

Fingers crossed!!

8 Likes

Stuffing Balls on NPR’s What’s Cooking
npr.org/2022/11/20/11360/72763thanksgiving-dressing-balls-recipe
If it won’t load up, try the npr.org website
Happy Thanksgiving!

2 Likes

Would love to hear these if you’re willing!

2 Likes