Thanksgiving 2019 - ideas / plans / menus / raves / rants

I could actually use some tips. :grimacing: Your Tuna Mousse seems way more successful than mine. FYI… I didn’t like the addition of balsamic vinegar.

Sounds great!

Who doesn’t like the bones?

:blush:

I wanted to practice boning thighs, and the bones went in the stock, but now I’m wondering why.

1 Like

Taking a HO break before I get back to my portion of prep (wasted half the day out unexpectedly, so…)

Stuffing balls - check. Next year I’m going to get creative with the actual stuffing (we are a stovetop/pepperidge farm group at the moment, having protested vehemently against the fruited-meated gourmet stuffing that was the earlier standard but none of the second generation touched).

Brandade de morue - check. Pretty excited about this (silly I know) - I carried salt cod with me and everything. Started this morning, then got derailed due to unplanned outing etc, just finished. Will bake tomorrow to brown the top before serving. Made very thin french bread crostini to serve with it already.

Main chef has made the gravy, the second gravy (a white concoction we adore), blanched the beans, and dry brined the turkey which is now drying (my “suggestion” for a Judy bird was accepted - I am very excited about this turkey for a change!)

I’ll go pluck Brussels off a d@mn stalk now (I did complain about this already, yes? I’ll complain again later) so I don’t have to do it in the morning. I think I get to roast them this year, though, as I alone insisted on them (apparently others were fine with just green beans, the audacity!)

Final menu:
Apps - Brandade with crostini, cheese board, smoked salmon, possibly gougeres depending on my commitment level
Meal - Turkey, 2 gravies, mashed potatoes, buttered green beans, roasted Brussels sprouts, sweet potato something (the only person who will eat this is bringing it)
Dessert - Pecan pie, lemon olive oil cake, pumpkin pie, apple crumble, ice cream, maybe brownies depending on how much I want chocolate

Ok, break over. Sprouts await.

A very happy thanksgiving to all celebrating in the US - I’m thankful for this community of food lovers!

Wildcards:

12 Likes

Nothing silly about salt cod!

This is pretty old, but for me, a fun “Thanksgiving” read.

The Kosher Salt Question

Down the rabbit hole.

You’re Not Crazy: There IS a Difference Between Morton’s and Diamond Crystal

You could still be crazy! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

A pic of H’s apple pie, fresh from the oven.

16 Likes

Oooooo! That’s impressive!

1 Like

You’re a crackup!

1 Like

Last time we made this…We used albacore tuna in water, drained plus a splash of whipping cream, 1 roasted garlic clove and a tsp of butter in the fp first. Then if needed a touch of s&p. Once the mix is well blended while the fp is on I drop an ice cube into the chute to achieve a very light mousse texture. Chill fully then serve with warm bread. We like a smooth, ultra airy tuna mousse with warm pumpernickel rye.

4 Likes

Love this post. Funny.

So, this is a universal issue. Whenever I see that odd looking, barely touched dish I feel sorry for the person who made it even if I don’t know who it is… but not sorry enough to try it.

5 Likes

Diamond Crystal! I stocked up when they threatened to go out of business. My cabinet now looks like a salt mine. I put the boxes to good use by laying them down horizontally and using them for extra shelving. The Morton’s Kosher is now tucked away in the back for a salt emergency, which won’t be anytime soon.

1 Like

Okay, now we’re talkin’. Bookmarking!

2 Likes

Nice!

I recently had such an emergency!

1 Like

We are definitely the neighbor to borrow salt from. One day I’ll post all the various salts in my cabinet!

1 Like

I don’t actually use kosher salt all that frequently (I prefer a finer salt for most things), but when I do, it has to be Diamond. DH brought home a box of Morton’s once and after trying it in a couple of things, it quickly got relegated to the back of the pantry - like you said, only in an emergency! I use it for salting pasta water and that’s about it - and since I make pasta maybe once a year, it is going to take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to use it up.

1 Like

Whereas I prefer Morton’s. Guess it’s what you’re used to.

2 Likes

https://locu.com/places/alchemy-restaurant-and-bar-ashland-us/

We are going here because my sister fell and broke her arm.
I love the place so I’m not upset about the change.
My sister’s arm nonwithstanding.
:slight_smile:

• THANKSGIVING 2019
  • DESSERTS

Thanksgiving is served from 2 pm to 7:30 pm. Reservations for the restaurant are required. The bar has first come first served seating. $70 per person not including tax and gratuities. This menu is subject to change at any time without notice.

1st Course‏

Savory Gallete

Fall Squash and Potato savory gallete with pickled red onion, wild mushroom and herb cream sauce

Stuffed Roulade

Sausage and Spinach stuffed roulade with parsnip puree and spiced apple and golden raisin chutney

2nd Course

Winter Greens Salad

Hearty Winter Greens, poached cranberries, roasted delicata squash, honey roasted hazelnuts, Dijon white balsamic vinaigrette

Roasted Cauliflower Soup

3rd Course‏

Roasted Turkey Breast

Brined and Roasted Turkey Breast, duck confit leg, roasted leek and buttermilk whipped potatoes, haricot verts, rainbow carrots, traditional stuffing, gravy

Acorn Squash and Kale Lasagna

Acorn Squash and Kale Lasagna, gruyere cream sauce, toasted pecans and frisee

4th Course

Choice of Fall Desserts

7 Likes

Sorry to hear about your sister’s arm @bbqboy! I hope she heals fast and doesn’t require surgery. I hear you guys got some treacherous weather the past couple days. Enjoy your dinner out, it sounds really good!

2 Likes