Thanksgiving 2017!

It’s a larger than normal group this year and until last night there was no plan at all and everyone seemed to be dreading it- it turns out the hang up was that no one wants a traditional meal, especially not turkey. The weather forcast saved the day- it’ll be 95 degrees so it’ll be pollo a la brasa on the grill (though FIL may still make prime rib since that’s what he wants,) and it’ll be pot luck style sides and desserts so everyone gets what they want. Everyone is relieved and is now looking forward to the day.

Our contribution is the chicken, which I’ll marinate at home and take ready to grill, and the green and yellow sauces.

7 Likes

I’m glad you all got that out in the open!

Our family is so the opposite. People get upset if you don’t have the traditional. We can add new items but no subtracting.

I’m sure there will be some “traditional sides,” the only rule this year is bring what you like! If someone needs green bean casserole or mashed potatoes for it to be Thanksgiving they’ve been encouraged to bring it.

1 Like

Sounds like a great plan. I’m making it all this year.

I always host Thanksgiving dinner for our family. I enjoy cooking and Thanksgiving is like the cooking Superbowl! We normally have 6 adults and 4 kids (although my kids eat like adults now), but this year my FIL is visiting so we’ll have 11 people.

This year’s menu:
Costco spiral ham – we are not big turkey fans so we normally do ham instead. We love the Costco ham.
Roast turkey – my FIL does not eat pork, and my daughter and SIL are not fond of ham so I figured this year I’ll do either turkey breast or a small turkey along with the ham. A coworker said Costco sells 1/2 turkeys so I’m going to check that out after work.
Mac and Cheese
Brie Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Cornbread Stuffing
Corn Casserole
A Non Potato Veggie Dish – my SIL is in charge of this, so not sure what she’s bringing yet
Homemade Parker House Rolls
Turkey Gravy
Costco Pumpkin Pie (a requirement in our house)
I’ll probably also get/make an apple pie.

I usually do a small dish of green bean casserole, old school with canned green beans and cream of mushroom soup, as I love the stuff, but my daughter, mom and I are literally the only people who eat it! So, I decided to skip it this year. But I warned my husband that it will be making an appearance at a weeknight dinner in the near future!

1 Like

I noticed smoked turkeys at Costco last Thursday. They were in a refrigerated endcap. I’d already purchased turkey so had to pass on it.:disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

They got my attention too!

2 Likes

So they are precooked and just get reheated, right? Has anyone tried them before? Wondering how they are…

ETA: Nevermind, I just noticed on @chowdom 's picture that they say fully cooked on them. Still wondering about taste/texture…

Isn’t the .97 cents an indication that it will not be a permanent item in the store?

Probably a seasonal item
EDIT: apologies for answering for boogiebaby

1 Like

Yes, but I’m not surprised that turkeys would be a seasonal item and therefore marked with .97.

They were sold out when I went to get one today. I got their corn pudding and a gargantuan stalk of Brussels sprouts, and will cook a chicken breast.

That sounds like a fantastic Tday plan! My apt is too small for hosting but every year it’s a different friends’ apartment and we always do a potluck style but generally
traditional-ish menu, which is actually still a bit of a novelty to about half the group who didn’t move to the US til college (which has been a while).
There are usually green beans in some form but never as That Casserole, roasted root veggies, mashed potatoes , sometimes also roasted sweet potatoes (savory! No weird marshmallows involved), some sort of stuffing, turkey, and someone always shows up with a spicy indian chutney of some sort. Cranberry sauce - purchased but not from a can- is on the table but the spicy chutney goes first!
Dessert is now always the pecan tart from dominique ansel bakery and sometimes also a purchased apple pie but then again about half the crown wants pie and the other half just wants whatever digestif alcohol is on offer. Nobody has to worry about driving home or waking up early :))

3 Likes

My mother in law just arrived and threw a curve ball.

She does NOT want green beans (they apparently have them too often at her senior living). But she wants mashed rutabaga again “before she dies”.

So it’s off to the store for rutabaga and the internet to find a recipe - I’ve never had or bought a rutabaga …

2 Likes

"But she wants mashed rutabaga again “before she dies”.
I like rutabaga, you can roast or mash like other root vegetables.
I just can not

4 Likes

That gives me an idea. I’m going to pick up a rutabaga for my mashed potatoes.

1 Like

I was going to get it duck. I picked up a nice 10 lb turkey. Going to dry brine it and cook it from the recipe of Judy Rodgers of the Zuni Cafe. I’m making a blueberry cheesecake today. Mashed potatoes with the rutabaga. Green beans with macadamia nuts. My friends bringing some coho salmon. I’ll pick up some oysters. Wine beer and Cocktails. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.Cheers. :cowboy_hat_face: Oh and for breakfast Thanksgiving morning Hangtown fry with Bloody Marys

3 Likes

I prefer duck or goose but DH wanted prime rib, I also prefer whipped turnips to everything

1 Like

Just the two of us.

Original plan was a vegan dinner (Field Roast roast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted brussels with garlic, green beans with almonds, dinner rolls, pumpkin cake roll and apple pie for dessert), but …

I have a nasty head cold and can’t taste anything, and …

It’s supposed to be 96 today and 94 tomorrow, and we have no AC.

I’m now thinking we will do Indian takeout for Thanksgiving and then cooking this weekend when it’s cooler and I feel better.

3 Likes

Now that I am knee-deep in T-Day preparations, it is time for me to join in. I usually start on Monday with my hunger-gatherer phase and prep work but Monday was otherwise taken this week. Pushed back everything to start Tuesday morning [and redid the timeline to account for the delay and modifications to our incredibly static menu.]

We were at the farm by 9AM where we picked up our veggies and the turkey. Our meal is all vegetarian except for the turkey and turkey gravy. When we got back home, I got to work. Started by roasting two trays of veggies, one with the turkey neck. Pulled out the turkey stock from last year’s smoked turkey to thaw and rubbed down the bird with salt for a two-day dry-brine. Made both stocks for the two different gravies before starting on the rolls. Trying a King Arthur trick this year– make the dough, divide into rolls immediately after kneading, and then freeze. We have never had rolls at Thanksgiving, but this year I don’t want stuffing. I don’t like stuffing. I want a roll! The trick claims that you remove the rolls from the freezer, place on the baking dish that has been prepped and in 4-5 hours the rolls are ready to bake. We shall see.

Other miscellaneous tasks yesterday was to wash the linens, pull the corn we processed in August out of the freezer to start thawing, make the butter which had been culturing for 24 hours, roast some pecans, and update the timeline yet again. Oh, and of course, make dinner.

This morning I was able to steam the pearl onions, make the béchamel and the cranberry-orange compote, and marinate the mushrooms.

Good thing I like this holiday!!! There is more to do this afternoon.

3 Likes