Thanksgiving 2016!

So today, in my household of two, we’re roasting a turkey breast. It is being served with traditional mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh green beans and cranberry sauce with orange zest. I am cooking 4 large potatoes so there will be plenty of leftovers for the best part of making mashed potatoes: the day-after potato cakes!

4 Likes

I give a big thumbs up to the braise and roast method. It was nice to have the turkey in its various parts when finished cooking…all that was left was to slice the roasted breast. The meat cooked in two hours and was super moist and extremely delicious.

1 Like

Sounds like a perfect meal. I like to dip leftover green beans in gravy as a snack the next day. :yum:

3 Likes

I have to admit, Thanksgiving leftovers are as good as or better than the meal itself.

2 Likes

I think it’s fine to go non traditional with Thanksgiving as long as all the players involved are aware and down with it.

Sometimes I get burnt out on too much tradition but try to respect that some people aren’t very adventurous or like the tradition. If that is the case, I just suck it up and remind myself it’s about the company.

1 Like

I made Fuchsia Dunlop’s Rustic steamed squash with spicy black bean sauce (Xiang cun nan gua), and thought it paired nicely with more traditional Thanksgiving items— the intense umami is a jolt, but it doesn’t persist in a way that compromises the rest of the meal.

Someone at a post-Thanksgiving party made an outstanding turkey fried rice. They cooked the rice in the drippings and broth, and fried the rice a few days later in turkey fat and tossed in turkey cubes, soy sauce, etc.

2 Likes

Oooh that looks perfect!! I think i even have some dried porcini in my cabinet somewhere… the added shallots and fennel are more favorite flavors!

Thanks, that’s a fun website to poke around!

And we were all certainly polite grownups about the disappointing stuffing , but it was such a downer since that’s one of those holiday dishes i look forward to the most! Next year I’ll volunteer to make and bring it :))

3 Likes