Thailand, Land of Smiles.

@ZivBnd Your posts are taking me back to my “yoot” when we went to Thailand on a regular basis. And @rmis32 mentioned our favorite island, Koh Lanta. Work is preventing me from replying in any substantive way, but I am loving your posts. And with your recent visa SNAFU, I was twitching big time. I was like, “let’s freaking go there and help out an Onion!” B knows I’m impulsive that way and loves to travel and would’ve said, “yes, let’s go!”

4 Likes

@ZivBnd how are you? Where are you??

2 Likes

I am in Sydney right now, got here on the 15th. Unfortunately i have been feeling a bit under the weather and have only got out of my hotel room for a hour or so most days. My health took a turn for the worse a year ago and this past 6 weeks have been a bit worse. Nothing terrible, just colds and respiratory tract infections but i am just worn out.
I did get to eat a few memorable meals, one a touristy “trolley” and one a hot pot place. Plus a really blah kebab, a fair Thai Moo Krob and a handful of others. So i have been having fun finding spots to eat.
My train leaves Sydney for Perth tomorrow and i am really looking forward to the 3 day journey! Having my own compartment and watching Australia roll by sounds rather nice! When i get to Perth i am going to start staying in one place longer. Overnight flights seem to be the biggest trigger for me getting sick. Not sure if it is exposure to other people, dry air or exhaustion from not sleeping overnight.
I have a flight to Bali on the 29th then i may go to Greece and just stay in Naxos for a couple weeks. I love the island and i have a small simple hotel there on the harbor that has been one of my favorites for a long time.

13 Likes

How sad that you have been too sick to enjoy Sydney much, it’s one of my favorite cities. I cannot wait to hear about your train trip - should be amazing! - and about Perth, a place I know virtually nothing about. Overnight flights are off the table for me these days. Safe travels!!

2 Likes

I feel like i have to make up time so i am off to Bondi Beach, start with Beach Burrito Co or the Depot. Then walk down to Bronte. I may have to stop a time or two to catch my breath but that is a feature, not a bug!

5 Likes

That’s it. Mama Onion is frigging meeting you wherever you land to help out. Doesn’t hurt that you’ll be in some of our favorite places (we’ve never been to Naxos but we love the off the beaten track Greek islands) and we’ve been to Bali pre-Eat Love Prey (internationally mis-spelled).

Edited to add: Joking of course but wish I wasn’t.

6 Likes

I am back in Thailand! Love this country! I landed in Chiang Mai 3 days ago and have been relaxing, chowing down and hitting a cooking school. What a great week so far!
My Khao Soi was really good, i made the curry paste myself w a mortar and pestle. My spring roll was fair and my Som Tom was outstanding, if i do say so myself!
The Tom Sab and Bananas in Coconut Milk were not rousing successes, tho. LOL.

I came home and the cat was unimpressed. She was much friendlier when i had fish the day before. No photos of that though.

I just like the green car in this photo. Riding a taxi home.

My favorite Khao Soi anywhere, even better than mine! Is at Khao Soi Khun Yai by the North Gate. Simply superb, just 60 baht/$1.75US.

Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you. Or the chicken as this case turned out…

A nicer market pic.

And Jiang Fish Ball’s “All of the above!” Soup. Again, just $1.75US!

A very well intentioned Vegan breakfast. Me and the cat like old fashioned protein sources.

But i did get a welcome home from the cat.

Ok, i just liked the cat.

11 Likes

Easy to tell you are in your happy place!! Hope you can stay awhile!

3 Likes