Thai Gourmet - Houston

Still craving the elusive Thai since our trip to Nidda was foiled by the “under construction” sign. Thai Gourmet is consistently on the top of “Best Thai” lists, so I made the trip to Richmond outside the loop at Fountainview to see for myself.

The menu is odd because it doesn’t use traditional names for things. I was wanting Tom Kha Gai or Tom Yum soup. I ordered the “Hot and Milky Chicken soup”, which was Tom Kha. It was really tasty with flavors going every which way. I liked that it had button mushrooms rather than a more Asian type of mushroom. I always order the green curry for some reason and so I did here. It wasn’t my favorite, which will continue to be at Vieng Thai, but it was ok. I’m curious how these places get the chicken to look like they do and I can’t help but think it must be highly processed.

Everyone gets salad and a skinny fried spring roll, and those come out even before you order. I ordered a Thai beer that could have been colder.

Service is typical of Asian eateries around here: swift and efficient. The room is very large and reminded me of a beer hall the way the tables are placed. In one corner you can purchase all manner of goods from clothing to decorative bric a brac.

4 Likes

Is that the invisible egg roll on the plate in front of the salad?

That Tom Kha looks “busy”.

I love green curry also. Speaking of Singha beer, did you ever go to Singha the restaurant on Westheimer across from Phoenicia? We ate there pretty often a few years ago. Now it’s a new spot called The New Spot. Haven’t been there yet though.

Previously in that same location, a couple of hookah bars, a Texadelphia, Hamburgers by Gourmet, Cliff’s, and who knows what else.

Hehe, they were thin sticks and came standing up in a glass.

The Tom Kha had large whole raw button mushrooms which made it awkward to eat, at least for me. For the same reason I rarely get sushi anymore, I can’t take a bite that big and sushi falls apart it you bite it half way down.

I’m with you on the sushi. I tend towards sashimi and sushi pieces made with the more tender, buttery fish like salmon, tunas, kanpachi, hamachi, and the like. I hate trying to bite a piece in half and having it hang with the integrity of the rice crumbling beneath it. The only solution is to hurriedly shove the whole thing in your mouth with all of the awkwardness that comes with it.

Yuck.

I also agree with the mushrooms. Seems like one thinly sliced 'shroom would have sufficed.

1 Like