Texas Monthly: Taco pedia - Your guide to the many types of tacos around the state, where to find them, and how to enjoy them!

excerpts:

Not only did my favorite food offer tortilla-wrapped comfort when we needed it most, but its versatility, economy, and portability made it almost pandemic-proof. “There’s never been a better time to sell tacos,” Andrew Savoie, the chef and co-owner of Dallas’s Resident Taqueria, told me at the time.

TERMS

• AL VAPOR
  • ASIAN-MEX
  • BARBACOA / BARBECUE
  • BIRRIA
  • BREAKFAST
  • BURRITOS
  • CAJUN-MEX
  • CARNITAS
  • CHEF-DRIVEN
  • COSTRA
  • DESSERT
  • GUISADOS
  • MINI
  • MODERNIST MEXICAN
  • PORK-BEEF-CHICKEN (PBC)
  • PUFFY
  • SEAFOOD
  • TACOS DORADOS
  • TACOS ESTILO MATAMOROS
  • TROMPO
  • VEGETARIAN / VEGAN
  • WEST INDIAN

Note: I placed this article in the Media board rather than the Texas board because of its broad range and instructive descriptions of about 25 different types of tacos which I thought was more helpful than just its reviews of eating places.

5 Likes

We can persuaded try any place or truck that offers lengua-filled minis.

2 Likes

Real actual Texan here. My favorite taco is very high quality chargrilled steak on a fresh flour tortilla with a touch of salsa and a bit of garlic butter like they do at El Tiempo in Houston.

1 Like

Let me say this about that.

Burritos are not a Texas thing. I’m 60ish and have only had them once, a freebie at work that was vile. Who puts rice, beans and the kitchen sink inside a ridiculously large tortilla? Growing up they were never on menus.

I will happily shoot a chimichanga, what ever that is if I encounter one in the wild. I’m always looking
for an excuse to fire off one of my firearms even with the cost of ammo today .

I must say I haven’t shot a weapon in over 13 years. We went to Shiner last week and I was packing plenty of heat but the opportunity never happened.

13 years!

Do I need to turn in my Texas ID?

1 Like

Nothing at all wrong with a proper Mission burrito, and chimichangas are deep fried wonderfulness.
But I’ve never met a taco I didn’t like.

3 Likes

I bet they blow up good, real good. See SCTV Celebrity Farm Film Blow Up.

1 Like

Texans. What’s a guy to do?
Failing to see the brilliance of deep frying something already wonderful to make it more wonderful used to be one of the trademarks of the Lone Star State!
:slight_smile: :cowboy_hat_face:

Nah, you’re good. People who really understand fighting know that in the majority of cases, fighting is a mistake. People who really understand guns know that in the majority of cases, shooting is a mistake. And people who really understand bagpipes know that in the majority of cases, playing is a mistake. :slight_smile:

Dumb newbies tend to believe that as soon as you know how to do something, that means you should do it. (The same thing happens when cooks start adding bacon to everything, but the results are much less disastrous than bagpipe music.)