Texas chili by way of DC. Multi level Wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/cooking-on-deadline-texas-red-chili/2018/10/22/0f81be2e-d5fe-11e8-8384-bcc5492fef49_story.html?utm_term=.685ed43f403b

I gave up when she told us Hatch was in Texas. Is this what happens when Amazon owns a paper?
Oh well…

2 Likes

Buckle up, bbqboy. It’ll only get more loopy.

3 Likes

Ironically, here in Houston by far the largest city in Texas, only a handful of places serve chili. Most people make their own, especially after the weather cools off.

1 Like

If you wonder why Amazon owns a newspaper, they used WP as case study probably to understand how a newspaper site works and they developed a newspaper website management kit that they are now selling all over the world’s newspapers. Husband’s company, a French newspaper is using it, any customised feature or support they will invoice you a good sum!

1 Like

Whatever else might be the problem I don’t think that’s it. Katie Workman is an extremely successful , very mainstream food writer:

https://themom100.com/about-katie-workman/

and the daughter of the couple who started Workman Publishing:

She must be so busy pounding out food articles that she doesn’t even have time to check Google or Wikipedia.

2 Likes

Is the whole bean thing that big of a deal in tx? As long as the chili is good, I’m fine with beans. In fact, I think it cuts the chili well if done correctly. Yes , I would love all meat, but beans can stretch out your batch and make it a lot cheaper. It is probably healthier too but you’re not talking to guy that cooks a low calorie diet lol. @jcostiones

1 Like

Well, to be fair, she didn’t exactly say “Hatch is in Texas”, but she obviously has no idea how “Hatch chili powder” gets its name (which is frankly bizarre coming from a successful food writer…) But consider yourself lucky for stopping at that point. I kept going… and almost choked when I got to the 28-ounce can of tomatoes to 1/4 cup of chili powder for 3 pounds of beef. I’m not even from Texas, but I think calling “beef stew” made with that ratio of ingredients “Texas red” (even granting that any tomato product has a place in it at all) is just grotesque…

And she even has the nerve to say “Wait, stop, put down those pitchforks! I didn’t say it was a stew”. Frankly, she’d be a whole lot closer to the mark if she stuck with stew… or maybe better still, “extra-meaty, dairy-free ragù bolognese”…:rofl:

3 Likes

I’ll say it’s a big deal for about three quarters of us. I’m firmly in the big deal camp.

1 Like

I don’t recall ever eating chili over rice when I lived down that way. It was usually eaten with saltines or cornbread. Frito pie was about as elaborate as it got (and as elaborate as it needed to get since the Frito pie is the pinnacle of chili dishes.) No beans, no tomatoes and Gebhardt was the usual chili powder. I use New Mexican red chile now, but to me, real Texas chili is ancho based.

2 Likes

Right? I actually DO like a bit of tomato in Texas-style chili (and add a small amount of tomato paste when I make it), but I would never expect to see any called for in an “authentic” recipe. Quite honestly, the amount she calls for is too much tomato for a ragu Bolognese as well! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe this “newspaper manager software “ lacks functions like fact checkers and editors…? Someone should have caught the hatch chile from texas issue even if the author herself was mistaken.
I had a friend who freelanced as a fact checker for Vogue and vogue.com, and literally every single stated fact in an article- regardless of length- had to be verified before publication

2 Likes

LOL, I guess knowing the conditions of working in Amazon, if the fact checker exists, must has so much work to do, the chili article is overlooked.

Did anybody care to contact them to correct the fake facts?

1 Like

Great minds think alike.:grin: I don’t use enough to actually taste “tomato”, but I also use a little tomato paste in chili. And considering some of the chili competition recipes I’ve seen, I don’t get too hung up on what one “should find” in an “authentic”-type recipe :wink:, as long as it’s basically little chunks of meat stewed in a basically-chile-based sauce…

2 Likes

To be fair, the article was sent out by AP. I gather “Cooking on Deadline” is a syndicated column. The Post’s mistake was to publish it. They weren’t the only ones.

4 Likes

Too late for me to delete DC from the title, and you are correct.