Tasks you like to do the hard way

One thing we used to do, a real sneaky plus for us as kids, you could unscrew the mouthpiece most of the way, which would disable it, allowing one to eavesdrop on a conversation that was happening on another phone on the same line without being heard.

1 Like

Graters, blades, canister, pusher and lid, that’s what goes in the dishwasher.

I have ALWAYS wanted a Karmann Ghia. That it was stolen from you almost makes me want to sit down and cry

1 Like

LOL! Love that.

I use mine exclusively for ginger, that way I never have to wash it. :wink:

I knead my own bread. Don’t even own a processor, least, not the food kind. I still gut and fillet fish by hand, as well as most cutting/chopping. I’ve loved knives since I was wee, and that has carried over into my arthritis years.

3 Likes

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tasks you like to do the hard way-Outside The Kitchen- Car tricks version!

I love knife work. Give me a pile of whatever and a good, sharp knife and I’ll happily chop away all day.
As much as I love my dishwasher, I do enjoy carefully washing crystal glasses, and I always hand wash the ECI.
Scratch baking is great–I love that I can make bread, pizza dough, cookies etc. whenever I like without a mix.

4 Likes

Don’t cry for me Argentina! Sorry I love that one.

At first I read brown rice. :joy:

2 Likes

One kitchen activity that I enjoy doing the old-fashioned way is grinding my own coffee beans by hand, savoring the aroma and the process of preparing a fresh cup of coffee.

8 Likes

+1 I have the old type of grinder with the little drawer and lever on top. Love that thing.

1 Like

Pestle and mortar for spices

1 Like
2 Likes

I don’t have the hand strength to use a garlic press, I either slice or chop garlic by hand. Seldom use our food processors since we only cook for two so everything is chopped by hand. We also use a mortar and pestle to grind fresh, dried and toasted spices - depending on the recipe. I prefer to make our own rice/orzo/couscous pilafs instead of box mixes. We also never buy pre-shredded cheese or sliced mushrooms (ugh the dirt stuck on them). Have to admit to buying cole slaw mix, though…

1 Like

have you tried a microplane? i use mine for garlic, ginger, and lemon zest.

3 Likes

Same, plus parmesan. It works amazingly well.

1 Like

how could i have forgotten about parm!

I don’t know, but I need to report you.

1 Like

I use the microplane for lemon zest and parm (although DH does the parm). The lemon is safe for me - I have some neuropathy/numbness on my finger tips and garlic is too small to be safe. I have a pottery ginger grater that I love with rough nubs when I want juicy ginger but I still use a knife to dice ginger most of the time. I love chopping and prepping by hand. It’s always been a zen thing, even before I got old and retired. A way to relax, and I love the colors and fragrance of vegetables and herbs. Especially when I grow them. They make me happy…

2 Likes

I find ironing strangely satisfying, like cooking, because when it’s done, you have tangible results you can see, and admire, and feel a sense of accomplishment. That being said, I haven’t ironed since the pandemic. I do have countless sets of ironed bed linens, stored with lavender in dust-proof bags. So my linen closet is kind of like a chest freezer for sheets, I guess.

8 Likes