Tarragon - how do you use it?

Planning roasted carrots for this week - thanks!

Tonight, Bearnaise sauce with rib eye.

2 Likes

Yeah, small batch. I keep on the counter. Mixed with lemon juice alone is great in salad. Touch poured over hot soup. Fish marinade. Etc.

3 Likes

Agreed with the savoury dishes mentioned above. In sweets, tarragon adds a subtle touch when infused in cream in desserts like lemon pie. Also works nicely as a final touch in desserts with raspberries and strawberries.

3 Likes

That makes sense, given it’s anise-y profile.

1 Like

My favorite herb! Ask my family, I use it everywhere it doesn’t belong.

For frying eggs, I’ll first flavor butter with tarragon, like you would with sage, then fry my egg.

I use it to flavor focaccia. If dried, I’ll add it straight to the dough. If fresh, I’ll lay a few sprigs on top and let it perfume and flavor as it bakes.

I’ll use it on pizza in place of basil.

I’ll add it when I’m making mayonnaise.

I think tarragon ice cream is way better than basil ice cream.

I’ve added it to mint chutney. Don’t do that.

5 Likes

Thanks! I think I’ve had tarragon mayo… will skip it in chutney, lol.

1 Like

I like to use tarragon with cinnamon in orange sorbet. Powder the cinnamon and tarragon in a mortar and pestle and add half a teaspoon of each to a batch of orange sorbet.

6 Likes

One of my less favorite herbs, truth to tell. But I will seek it out for creamy pan sauces with mild items from mushrooms to fish and chicken. A little can’t hurt in a roast chicken herb blend. I could see it going well with shallots, water chestnuts or daikon, carrots and endive as a side. Interesting herb, to be sure.

1 Like

It’s insanely delicious mixed with mint, Dijon, olive oil and lots of garlic slathered over lamb to roast. We like it in Bernaise of course. It pairs exceptionally well with citrus, so is fantastic with chicken in orange sauce, or similar. Also great on seafood, and I do use it in untraditional fish chowders and seafood stews, along with some Pernod. Think lobster bisque here. Anyway, big fans, but I’ve only once found a starter plant, and it didn’t do well. May have to order some seed for next year.

One more thing: if you mix it with parsley, chives, and chervil, you’ll have the French herb blend called Fines Herbes.

3 Likes

Add it to mustard.

1 Like

I mostly buy it for Green Goddess dip or dressing.
I associate it with Lobster Thermidor. It’s also used in Russian cooking a lot. The Georgians also use it. There are artificially bright
bottled green sodas, as well as a green drink something like KoolAid, that are Tarragon -flavoured , which are served at Georgian restaurants. They’re the same colour as green beer at Cdn and American bars on St Paddy’s.

5 Likes

Very interesting.

re a green sauce with tarragon, I absolutely love this simple, long-lasting sauce. Enjoy!

Blend 4 cups mixed herbs I used parsley, basil, tarragon, chives, savory.
1/2 a preserved lemon
2 cloves garlic
3 anchovy filets
1/2 cup neutral or fruity olive oil

7 Likes

Looks good, I have some last garden tarragon that I need to do something about them.

3 Likes

Poke a couple of sprigs (or a teaspoon or so of dried) into a bottle of white wine vinegar. Add 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, and in about 3 weeks use it to make vinaigrette. It really, really works well.

2 Likes

1] Fresh and dried tarragon tastes very different. Try both.

2] Fresh tarragon is an easy to grow perennial plant. Grows into into a cute 2 ft high little bush

3] As well noted in the comments, great with cream and chicken. Better if also using mushrooms. Also with beef and just about everything else

4] Essential with all seafood unless you live on boat in the ocean. A little bit of tarragon kills the “fishy” taste. Use trial and error to find the amount where the fishy goes away but you can’t taste the tarragon (unless you want to)

5] Beyond #4, a good addition to Crab Louis and Crab cakes.

6 Likes

I like tarragon in moderation. My favorite use is in a traditional French vinaigrette.

1 Like

I put it in Chinese Scallion Pancakes (or Cong You Bing, 葱油饼) as well as Jiang Bing.

4 Likes

In a Persian inspired saffron barberry pistachio herb rice recipe by Ottolenghi from the Jerusalem cookbook, but here’s a web version: https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/saffron-rice-with-barberries-pistachio-and-mixed-herbs

4 Likes