Takeout and Delivery in [Toronto]

What was it that made the squid inedible? Pasty? Dry?

Maybe it was off.

Very tough texture that I couldn’t even chew.

Picked up beef croquettes (fairly spicy relative to the other dishes, maybe a 5 on the Salad King scale), beef lumpia (spring rolls ), Brussels sprouts and eggplant/tempeh/cassava at Little Sister tonight.

First time trying the eggplant/ tempeh/ cassava dish. I haven’t tried too many tempeh dishes.I liked the sauce, the eggplant and the cassava, lukewarm about the tempeh itself.

What is pictured is roughly half of the order.

Might try the mushroom rendang next time.

3 Likes

I love little sister!

1 Like

I’m guessing you went to the Portland location (the menus are different). If you end up going to the Yonge location, the urab salad and the white cabbage are lovely.

1 Like

Little Sister is a neighborhood favorite!

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed Oroshi a few times, but haven’t had squid issues.

But curious about your comment re: the prices. Their omakase is $55 for 11 nigiri & a hand roll. Kibo SG’s Secret Nigiri is $45 for 10 pieces.

Yeah might be a day off as feedback had been great before. I get delivery via UberEATS so it’s 65$ for the omakase less whatever the promo is available. I usually add a roll for Kibo secret garden set side so roughly 50-55$ for both delivered for both via UberEATS net without tips.
I also felt that the rice was a bit off at Oroshi like they had prepped the set beforehand and not made to order

1 Like

Good to know, didn’t realize the menus were different.

This was my first time getting takeout from, and visiting, the Portland location.

I have been to the Davisville location for dine-in, around 8 times, but not recently!

Thanks for the clarification. I pretty much always do pickup, and usually ordering from the restaurant. Almost always has to be in my walking/biking range!

My Emmer take-out Croque Monsieur ($12 before tax and tip) . Is there a nice word for “tasty but meh” ? I’m a huge Emmer fan , love the breakfast sandwich, love the quiches, love the patty melt, love the tarts, love the croissants, like the bacon butty. The Schnitzel and Croque have room for improvement.

CO2 when it’s 2/3 full, near the door, is still 1000+. Medium safe in terms of ventilation, but it would be over 1800 (not too safe without a mask) when all the tables are full.

Better croques are found at Nadège, Bar Pompette and Le Conciliabule.

I also picked up a chicken doner in a wrap from German Doner Kebab ($12.79 before tax and tip), which is a fast-ish food restaurant on Queen W. It is possible to order ahead. They are slow, as doner goes. I waited around 10 minutes when the restaurant was half empty. On the plus side, as I waited, the CO2 was around 750 inside their half empty-half full restaurant, good ventilation. I haven’t eaten the doner yet, will report back later. Quite a large doner, by weight.

2 Likes

I liked the chicken part of the German Doner Kebab on Queen W near John’s chicken doner wrap, but didn’t like the toppings or wrap itself too much, not enough to return.

The wrap, sort of a lavash, was a little gummy. Probably due to me taking it to go, but I haven’t had lavash or pita become gummy before, a bit like a gummy wheat tortilla.

For a German-ish diner experience in Toronto, I’d rather order a Doner box over half salad/half fries at Otto’s Berlin Doner in Kensington.

@elvisahmed I’m wondering if you were served bigfin reef squid (aori ika). They’re tougher but tastier than the normal ika. I recently saw a couple of places with this on special. The chef’s skills is the key factor in how tough it is but it will never be as tender as the normal sushi squid.

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn’t know first I thought they didn’t remove the hard cartilage as haven’t had Ika like this before.

1 Like

Imagine the person (me) who asked why such an expensive squid was tough and got schooled by the chef. :rofl: But if was not noticeably sweeter than normal ika, it’s probably not aori ika.

1 Like

Lomo Saltado ($29) from Pisac Peruvian on Dupont. I haven’t had this too many times at other restaurants, so I can’t really compare it to other versions, but I liked it.

The Papa al la Huancaina was okay, but I wouldn’t order that again from this restaurant. I won’t bother posting a photo.

I will return to try some other main dishes in a few months. I ordered pick-up through Ritual.

https://pisacbistro.wixsite.com/mysite

2 Likes

Had this on the list for a while A la turk chicken filet and Adana kebab delivered via UberEATS

4 Likes

I was in the mood for Mediterranean/ Greek or Middle Eastern food last night, something I could pick up on Bloor or Dupont, between The Junction and The Annex.

Contemplated Bar Neon, but the menu is fairly limited. I wanted chicken or a vegetarian main.

I decided to order from Fet Zun, a spot I’ve visited around 4 or 5 times. Last time I ordered the sabich platter, in the fall of 2020, the kitchen forgot the Schug and Tahini.

Last night, the kitchen remembered the Schug and Tahini, but forgot the garlic tomatoes, the hard boiled egg, the olives and the pickles on my Crispy Eggplant Platter ($29 before tax and tip)

Busy place. It was packed .

I guess I will be heading to Jerusalem, Tabule, Aish or Dr Laffa for take-out from now on, when I want an eggplant tahini egg garlic tomato fix.

I used to visit Little Sito on Bloor. Little Sito uses too much salt for me, as do Byblos and Me Va Me, so I stopped getting takeout from them.

I enjoyed take-out from Silk Road Kabob on Bay, which @elvisahmed recommended last year, and I should revisit soon. https://join.ritual.co/menu/silk-road-kabob-house-bay-hayter-toronto/3b63

Aish’s Sabich Platter $22

Dr Laffa Sabich Platter $22.99

Jerusalem: recommend the garlic tomatoes ($8) and fried eggplant ($8)

Tabule: good garlic tomatoes and fried eggplant

2 Likes

We finally crossed North Pole Bakery off our list. It is primarily a bakery with a small hot table at Greenwood and Danforth. It has been there for about 50 years. We knew that Suresh Doss gave it the thumbs up and Rob Gentile loves there cannoli. During the week, there is usually a pasta dish of some sort, but on the weekend not (at least yesterday). So we tried the following:

Softball-sized arancini. Lovely cheesy rice, with a ground meat centre and a light sweet tomato sauce over top.

Veal sandwich. Tender fried cutlets, stewed peppers, onions, and eggplant, same tasty tomato sauce, on a crusty roll. Very good. Would need to compare to other versions as we haven’t had any recently.

Meatball sandwich. Finely ground and well-flavoured meat with the same accompaniments. Also very good.

Cannoli. Light, crispy-crumbly pastry with a light, not-to-sweet ricotta filling. Classic.

So all-in-all, very good and a nice option in our neighbourhood. Not sure they are worth trekking across the city for, but if you are in the area, might be a fine pit-stop for a cheap and tasty lunch.

3 Likes