Takeout and Delivery in [Toronto]

My takeout has been hit or miss this weekend.

I tried the Beef Durum (beef doner in lavash aka durum) at Doner Chi, the new doner place at Bloor and Spadina. Large amount of underseasoned, dry meat. It was just under $12 before tax. I prefer the cheaper and smaller shawarma at Zaadacross the street. For Turkish doner downtown, Best Istanbul in Kensington or the Istanbul Shawarma at 430 College are tastier.

Bakerbots
I had a split scoop of banana pudding and split scoop of PB chocolate in a cup (equal to one scoop, around $5.75), and pecan butter tart (breakfast this morning!) to go. Very good.

Good Behaviour sub, from the new location on Yonge across from the Metro Reference Library.
I tried the classic. The filling was great. Even if it’s a generous sub, $18 before tax is steep. The hot sandwiches are $16.

The sesame bun tasted a day old. They have a half sub, a drink and side special for $12, Mon to Fri.

It’s funny, I am okay with paying $7 for a good gelato or ice cream, but $21 for a takeout sub inc tax and tip is too rich for my blood. LOL-

Chocolate Cream Bun from the Hattendo in the Holt Renfrew Centre. Nice filling, tasted like it was filled yesterday. Egg sando and fruit sando in the case looked a day old.
You’d never see that in Japan. Kind of depressing.

4 types of quiche (ham, spinach, broccoli, sweet potato -potato, and ham) from Le Conciliabule on Gerrard East of Greenwood.

2 Likes

I ended up walking to Shatter Abbas today for an early dinner. Having enjoyed their delivery options during the pandemic this was a step above the delivery option. Smallish seating area though one can sit outside by the be roadside as well (not desirable at rush hours on the busy intersection of Yonge & St Clair)
Had the combo 1 went well for 2 as a lot of food
Not in pic is a generous portion of rice

5 Likes

Looks very good. I’ve added it to my list.

1 Like

We tried takeout from the Queen’s Quay location a few weeks ago. The ghormeh sabzi was wonderful. It is a stew of beef, kidney beans, preserved limes, and many herbs, served with rice.

1 Like

Good to know odd thing is once I tried the delivery from that location at harbor front and the food wasn’t as good maybe the wait time for delivery didn’t do it justice

1 Like

Kebabs also might fare more poorly with a wait, whereas the stew we had is pretty forgiving.

Their kebabs are quite good… but yeah, the combo platter is masssssssive.

Another takeout spot for moi is Silk road at bay Gerrard. There are hardly any good grab and go places that are decent in their area. I have friends who live around there so it’s a good last min pick as food is grilled fresh and very reasonablely priced.

3 Likes

Thanks for this rec for Silk Road Kabob, @elvisahmed . The kofta and borani (eggplant) are excellent.
Really like the owner. I will be back.

I will try the Mantu (Afghan Manti, which are bigger than typical Turkish Manti) and Ashak (leek dumplings) another time.

Here is the borani.

Yum.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing I haven’t tried their other dishes much except the spinach dish will keep it in mind. They do have a promo through Ritual if you are ok with ordering through pickup apps. Ritual is decent from what I have read

1 Like

Sabich plate from the Haifa Room. I liked it a lot. The boiled egg was under the eggplant. I’ll be back. $17 before tax and tip.

4 Likes

Take-out jerk chicken on a bun from When The Pig Came Home

Take-out salad from the fridge at Parallel. $20, but a good salad.

Are the $11 dollar dips at Agora worth it? Seems steep. The Better Than YiaYia’s dips sold a few places are good, but not that expensive.

Noticed this newish place on Baldwin in Kensington Market has Jollof Rice www.thesuyaspot.com

1 Like

The jerk chicken sandwich looks good. We still have to try When the Pig Came Home.

We’ve tried The Suya Spot location out in Scarborough. The jollof rice was particularly tasty and the BBQ meats were nice and smokey.

1 Like

I like everything I’ve picked up at When the Pig Came Home.

I had stopped by Chica’s Chicken first (it was 4:00 pm, the restaurant’s indoor tables were maybe 2/3 full, no line), and I was told it would be a 25 minute wait for 2 pieces of fried chicken. They recommend ordering online and picking it up.

It takes When The Pig Came Home around 10 minutes to prepare a sandwich, if you place an order as a walk-in.

1 Like

Tried a delivery for Shunoko via delivery. Hmm not impressed as same price point as Kibo secret garden
Sadly Shunoko is closing for good Oct 22 as per their website

1 Like

I’m going to borrow your phrase Hmm not impressed, to describe my Ovosodo panino (hard boiled egg, pancetta and arugula) from Think Italian Café at Harbord and Borden today. I like this place for coffee, pastries , Italian sofas, groceries, focaccia, but my first sandwich was a little disappointing because the focaccia was a little stale. I’ll still go back, maybe I will try ordering them on a Friday or Saturday.

Nice Cappuccino
(If a little too milky for me today), good cookies today.

We made too much of a Southern-style tomato salad for Sunday dinner, so we decided to get some takeout BBQ to accompany the leftovers. Beach Hill is closed on Tuesdays so we decided to try Breakwall in the Beach. This place has been around for about 10 years and we have only previously eaten the fries, which were only OK at the time.

Being lazy, we went for the Indecisive Sample: 1/4 lb brisket, 1/4 lb pulled pork, cheddar jalapeño sausage, pork back ribs, one side (we picked baked beans), cornbread muffin, slider bun, pickles, horseradish aioli, and BBQ sauce. I added a smoked 6 oz tenderloin from the catering menu.

Our expectations were fairly low - hadn’t heard anything about this place and we have mainly had OK but not great BBQ in Toronto. The brisket was the surprise hit - quite smokey, nicely flavoured charred edge, pretty moist. It’s as good a brisket as we’ve had in Toronto in years. The sausage was also very good, with melting process cheese bits inside. The ribs were tasty and fairly smokey, though a bit dry on the edges and not as fall-apart as I like. Pulled pork was decent, somewhat smokey and not oversauced. The tenderloin wasn’t smokey at all, but was otherwise a nice medium rare steak that went well with the horseradish aioli.

Beans were fine, if unremarkable. Slider bun made for a good pulled pork sandwich. Cornbread muffin was quite good, made from only medium grind cornmeal, not particularly sweet. BBQ sauce was OK and went fine on the less sauced bits of pork.

So, good enough for a return trip at some point. We’ll have to do a side-by-side comparison with Beach Hill to further evaluate.

1 Like

Today’s cafe landwer dinner was delivered by door dash (they need to really improve their service as food was waiting to get picked up for a bit)
I had the following
Arais burger decent
Haloomi sandwich decent as well
Mezes platter hummus was good other stuff was middling to meh
Fries are forgettable
With proper promos and better delivery service I will try again

2 Likes

Had the delivery for impact kitchen as their brunch menu is decent. I added my own smoked salmon otherwise rest is their super food benny (extra egg added)
I suggest a pickup as someone walked this order so the Huevos Rancheros for the friend didn’t fare well

2 Likes