Take-out in [Toronto], May 20, 2023 and onwards

Thank you!!

1 Like

I didn’t say EAT at the CN Tower. Heaven forbid.

3 Likes

Thanks, I haven’t tried them as I am not often at the JCCC - last was there pre-pandemic. Will have to check them out.

1 Like

Tried avant gout today as walk by often. Delivery was late but not their fault
Beet salad good
Moroccon spiced Lamb shank was good as well and spiced better than I thought
Haven’t gotten to the carrot cake yet will update

2 Likes

Izakaya Ju imo has the best food for izakayas in GTA
Grilled stuff is up there with the best and their unaju is so good that I have to share a pic from a few years ago

3 Likes

Spicy Ham n’ Cheese sub from ‘Grandma Loves You’ on Yonge $17 + tax and tip but was plenty delicious and enough for lunch and dinner.
Tons of ham/cheese/tomatoes/crispy onions/jalapenos/lettuce/spicy mayo.

2 Likes

Adding pic and feedback for the carrot cake. I enjoyed it though it has coconut, pineapple and raisins (hate on raisins has been trending for a while). The ginger pieces added another layer of flavor for me. I might try Avant Gout again for sure

2 Likes

Wow. Can you still call it carrot cake after all that?

2 Likes

Hee hee. Parking this here because I get bagelwiches at Fet Zun.
https://twitter.com/KindaHagi/status/1684586154845249539

Take-out from Bar Vendetta.
I will dine on the back patio at some point. Very good. The tagliatelle with lemon was $22, bitter green salad was $16.

The pastas run $19-$24, when the 4 or 5 Italian restos on College from Grace to Euclid run closer to $21-28 for pastas. (Edit: Il Padrino’s are under $26, Quadro’s are $24.95-$28.50, Sotto Voce $15-$26, will check Il Covo $23-$26)

Il Covo was good in 2019. Il Covo is only open Thu-Sun.

I will get around to trying Il Padrino and Quadro at some point.

I’m intrigued that Jen Agg can keep her pastas under $25. Different business structure, and I bet she sells more cocktails. Bar Vendetta is open 7 nights a week, whereas Quadro is only open Wed-Sat.

1 Like

Glad you liked it. We liked the tagliatelle. Actually we liked all the pastas - only one we didn’t try was the spaghetti. Cocktails were good, but the wine selection is even better.

2 Likes

Good to know!

Picked up steamed won tons ($9), a mushroom and tofu bowl / bun ($17) and iced Vietnamese coffee ($6) at Hem Social on Dundas W near Dufferin. I liked it. Casual place. Food was ready in 10 minutes.

2 Likes

Oroshi Fish Co.
This is the $35 before tax and tip premium sushi set.

672 College St, same block as Giulietta and Lardo.

Enjoyed the paella, patatas bravas, octopus and crab croquettes from Salt Wine Bar tonight. I will be back!

I ordered over the phone and picked it up myself.

I had considered ordering online for Bar Isabel, but only a handful of the dishes were available.

2 Likes

@calam1ty , I took a peek at 2Good2Go, and noticed a few upscale spots like Eataly , as well as some indie coffee shops (Merseyside) are using it. I might give it a try.

Sorry the Levant order didn’t work out for you and your SO. Will be interesting to see which places offer more bang for the buck.

I have been meaning to try Lardo on College, next to Barocco x Nino. I like the pizza slices at Barocco x Nino, and they also post and sell their leftovers /extras on 2Good2Go.

1 Like

Take away from a new burger joint that just opened in the nabe.
“Aloette Burger” 4oz patty/griddled emmental cheese/dijonaise/lettuce/pickled onions crinkle cuts fries(over salted) and a free CC cookie they gave me because I told them how screwed up their online ordering system was.
Burger was tasty, nothing mind blowing for $12. Fries were good and crispy $6 and the cookie was free so I can’t complain $22 bucks CAD alll in including tax and tip. Might give them a second chance cause my burger options are kinda limited round these parts.

2 Likes

Had a good take-out meal from Bar Vendetta tonight: cacio e pepe crown, rigatoni with shrimp and bacon, cheesy garlic bread, meatballs and tomato salad. It’s becoming a go-to for me.

Patio season is winding down. Danny’s Pizza Tavern, Birreira Volo (College St) and Taverniti’s had relatively busy patios on College St tonight. Most other patios were not busy at all. Pompette’s patio was empty.

2 Likes

I’ve had good luck this weekend:
Yesterday, a cheeseburger at Rudy, which was $8.45 before tax, around $9.61 after tax. I like their cheeseburger more than HappyBurger and as much as Harry’s Charbroiled.

Today:
Breakfast sandwich with sausage at Masa Deli inside Housecoat Coffee on Dovercourt Rd. Excellent.

Fattoush, falafel and mejadra from Tabule on Yonge