Take Out | HBO Max Original

Looks interesting.

1 Like

Coincidentally, I watched a clip of Michelle Zaunerā€™s episode earlier today (Crying in H Mart; Japanese Breakfast). Iā€™m also intrigued but we donā€™t get HBO Max.

1 Like

Her song, Paprika, should be added to the food themed songs thread :grin:

1 Like

I watched a few episodes today. Sort of Bourdain-ish-light in a way. Thatā€™s a good thing I think.

The episode in Little Saigon featured a Pho place thatā€™s really good. I used to go there, with business associates, about 20 years agoā€¦ā€¦ until one day we walked in on a deranged man holding everyone at bay with a very large knife. Our walking in distracted him enough for a very heroic man to subdue him. Iā€™ll never forget that place.

2 Likes

Wow! Have you gone back since then?!

Yes, but it was quite a while.

1 Like

Iā€™m learning quite a lot just in Epi 1.

Just watched the first two episodes - really enjoying it. The second one is about the Chinese in the Sacramento CA area. Iā€™ve been to the town of Locke and loved it - very evocative and not touristy.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to have to check it out.

The Philippines story and the Manilla Village story was so interesting, Iā€™m embarrassed that there is so much I donā€™t knowā€¦

The Sacramento one felt really close to home. Similar history in our valley. I knew a Chinese-American farmer who brought me pears from his every year. I often think back about how he knew that farms time was limited. There a farm here called ā€œLockewood Acresā€ on Locke Road. Iā€™m thinking it might be related to Locke, which is sort of close as the crow flies.

Proudly, this series took me to task! I took alot of notes. Much followup reading to follow. Such a vibrant palate of colors, flavors,textures. Wanting moreā€¦wanting the tasting experiences.

2 Likes