Take Out | HBO Max Original

Looks interesting.
https://www.finedininglovers.com/article/lisa-lings-take-out-series-HBO-max?amp

1 Like

Coincidentally, I watched a clip of Michelle Zauner’s episode earlier today (Crying in H Mart; Japanese Breakfast). I’m also intrigued but we don’t get HBO Max.

1 Like

Her song, Paprika, should be added to the food themed songs thread :grin:

1 Like

I watched a few episodes today. Sort of Bourdain-ish-light in a way. That’s a good thing I think.

The episode in Little Saigon featured a Pho place that’s really good. I used to go there, with business associates, about 20 years ago…… until one day we walked in on a deranged man holding everyone at bay with a very large knife. Our walking in distracted him enough for a very heroic man to subdue him. I’ll never forget that place.

2 Likes

Wow! Have you gone back since then?!

Yes, but it was quite a while.

1 Like

I’m learning quite a lot just in Epi 1.

Just watched the first two episodes - really enjoying it. The second one is about the Chinese in the Sacramento CA area. I’ve been to the town of Locke and loved it - very evocative and not touristy.

1 Like

I’m going to have to check it out.

The Philippines story and the Manilla Village story was so interesting, I’m embarrassed that there is so much I don’t know…

The Sacramento one felt really close to home. Similar history in our valley. I knew a Chinese-American farmer who brought me pears from his every year. I often think back about how he knew that farms time was limited. There a farm here called “Lockewood Acres” on Locke Road. I’m thinking it might be related to Locke, which is sort of close as the crow flies.

Proudly, this series took me to task! I took alot of notes. Much followup reading to follow. Such a vibrant palate of colors, flavors,textures. Wanting more…wanting the tasting experiences.

2 Likes