Take it to the bridge.........Hebden Bridge !

In HB (as I am sure no one calls it ) this Friday for a music concert ( as I am sure no one calls them ) at the Trades club.

Never been there before. Fear of boho chi chi nonsense is coursing through my veins.

Anywhere decent to eat in town ?

Thanks in advance

I’m surprised that they still have a Trades Club - knowing what I know about Hebbie (which I am sure no one calls it), I’d have expected it to be renamed something much more twee.

As for eats, have a look at the Stubbing Wharf. No experience of it - but we intended to go to the town last year and seemed a decent lunch bet (never got there in the end)

Update from last week though not really Moor Hall standard or aspirations. Never bothered with the Wharf, ironically on the basis that didnt want stodge.

Why ironic ? Well,because we went to place called Chapter 17 and I had the most lovely lamb burger!

IMG_0086 (1)|320x240

As you can see. It had feta and a bit of tzatziki, was cooked proper medium pink in the middle and was all kinds of Friday night comfort in a bun.

The sweet potato wedges were also delightful though the parmesan was probably unnecessary and the enamel cup could only be classed as a hipster affectation. The lady had red mullet on some lovely lentils and my foreground beer was a winning mix of lager/IPA which sounds like it shouldn’t really work but it did.

Front of house and kitchen duties all taken by friendly youngsters and the place was not full even on a Friday night at 7.30 so, despite the hipster tendencies, this is a good place to support if you can.

On a none food note the Trades is a great, atmospheric music venue and needs your support if you are oop North.

1 Like

IMG_0086 (1)

1 Like

One to file away for the future. Thanks

Contrary to popular opinion , I do, very occasionally, venture north of Watford. Mrs PB was away for 2 weeks visiting the folks in their place in Spain & while I couldn’t get away for the trip I managed a few days walking around Hebden Bridge.

Dapur Nin @ The Trades Club Holme St, Hebden Bridge HX7 8EE

There’s not a lot open in Hebden Bridge on a Sunday past 7pm. The quote from Withnail & I when they go to the Lake District and declare they went on holiday my mistake did briefly flash through my mind. Dapur Nin is an Indonesian pop up in the Trades Club. The menu is fairly short & I went for the meat Nasi Campur , a selection of the meat dishes and some other dishes on the menu. I was hoping to find a really good dish to come back and try properly later. Unfortunately it was all fairly bland. Chicken & beef rendang, a particular disappointment. Soy chicken thigh was nice as was the pickled onions, rice was nicely cooked. Good value and a saviour on a Sunday and also there’s a dearth of SE Asian options in Hebden Bridge.

Not one to seek out but hard to argue with visuals in the bar area.

4 Likes

Squeeze Hebden 19 Crown St, Hebden Bridge HX7 8EH

My go to breakfast place in Hebden Bridge, with very good coffee and interesting breakfast specials but they don’t start serving those till 10am. As I was trying to head out early for walks I didn’t really eat there that much, I did though one day have their nduja on sourdough toast with goats cheese, pickled onions, chillis and honey. I was expecting punchy and contrasting yet complimentary flavours with sharp, hot ,spicy sweet and umami , softened by the cheese. It was exactly what I got, for once a dish that looked great on paper that actually delivered.

5 Likes

Mooch Cafe Bar 24 Market St, Hebden Bridge HX7 6AA

Generally down south all sausage or bacon sandwiches are in sliced bread. I much prefer these in a roll (or bap or barm cake depending on regional variations ) rather than in a standard sandwich. I spotted that Mooch served their sandwiches in a tea cake, The term tea cake conjures up a sweet bump with currants, It can though mean a large soft roll. Here it was soft and beautifully buttered (almost like brioche but but not as sweet or soft) and filled with good quality sausage and a perfectly fried egg.

5 Likes

White Lion Pub Bridge Gate , Hebden Bridge HX7 8EX

My favourite pub in Hebden. Good beer, a lovely place to be and great staff.When I booked by last dinner there I was asked to pick a table and picked one near the window which I had been using the last few days. It was a four top and I was on my own, but no problem. To drink in, no hesitation , for food, some reservations.
I chose it for my farewell meal as they had pigeon on the menu, I rarely turndown pigeon. What I hadn’t factored in was the choices for main course. I only really fancied the venison for the choices on the mains and didn’t really want game for starter & main.

For starter I had treacle cured trout on homemade crumpet with quails egg nd whipped feta. | lovely slightly squishy crumpet with a good tang, perfectly cooked quails egg with runny yolk.

The main course of venison was a disappointment. The meat was overcooked and tasted more like beef.The beetroot , combined with sweet potato puree made everything too sweet and more texture, something crunchy or crispy was required.

The dessert menu was quite short but if I see a custard tart up north then I usually order it.It should be very short crumbly pastry encasing a barely set wobbly custard with a dusting of nutmeg. This particular tart came with nutmeg ice cream , which was an interesting take. A crumbly base and wobbly custard were conspicuous by their absence. Underdone soggy pastry and a hard fridge cold custard, disappointing.

4 Likes

Good reports, Chris. Thanks.

1 Like

That and your dining companion/reading material. Plus, finding something that feels just right in an incongruous situation is so awesome.

2 Likes