Taiwan - September

Slept for a few hours but couln’t any more if I tried.

Economy class meals. I tried a bite, the partner ate it all for me.

Chicken with mushrooms.

This I liked. Probably the only thing worth eating when flying. I didn’t touch the chocolate. Too sweet at 52%. I need at least 99%.

Rice porridge with shiitake and prawns.

From Hong Kong to Kaohsiung. Only a 1 hour flight but they still serve some food. Again, I had a bite of each, the radish cake tasted mostly of flour. Normally I like it.

2 Likes

Got to the restaurant but they were busy setting up the place for re-opening at 5pm (it was only 4pm). So we walked one block back to have some coffee at a cafe in the neighbourhood. The receipt has QR code (and I’m not a phone user. Gasp.). My coffee is iced. It’s so hot here.

To my left is this thing with taps. I asked the English speaking employee if they still had these beers but he told me it’s not really beer. Haha… They don’t have it any more anyhow.

They also sell these unpalatable Belgian coffee biscuits. I know Americans love them. The spice mix (“speculoos”) ruins everything for me, but to each their own.

Back to the restaurant.

I made sure I could eat my 2 favourite Taiwanese dishes as soon as possible.

I recognised straight away the greens posted by GoogleGourmet upthread. There’s a nice crunch and texture but would be nicer if the “green taste” (folate in green vegs) was stronger.

Clams with basil. I could eat this (and boiled goose) every day.

I was happy.

Fish counter and tanks in front of me.

Kitchen. Young man is in charge of slicing and weighing portions of goose.

Goose slicing and weighing station. Unfortunately he was just finished by the time I made this photo.

Whilst waiting to pay, someone’s table near the cash register. A meal of all things fish.

3 Likes

We usually drink copiously quantities of Taiwan Beer, in its various iterations. To cope with the heat. :wink:

Tried a couple of new (to us) beers this time. Super Fresh!!!

Brewed by Taiwan Beer:

Taiwan produces a world class single malt. The same company also brews Buckskin, a bit more hoppy than your usual Taiwan Beer offers. Love Asia. You buy the whole bottle of whiskey, not a few whimpy shots.

2 Likes

I see the yellow label “Beer” everywhere, but not Buckskin. To keep cool I eat shaved ice.

Went to Cijin yesterday where I had a late lunch.

I will make this thing when I come home. They use salted (duck) egg in it. So nice! A similar dish in Okinawa is called “chanpuru”. Apparently, chanpuru is Okinawan “national dish”. They use scrambled eggs, not salted eggs. I like both but if I have to choose then it’s the Kaohsiung version. Also, the bitter melon is deep, dark green with small bumps variety.

Veg with fine, curly tendrils.

Steamed fish.

Everything is weighed and you know the price straight away. This place is not fancy, they don’t put too much effort into presentation, the beer cups are plastic, and no one comes to take your plates that are full of debris away every couple of minutes. Parents and 3 children run the place. I checked out other places and decided to come here. This town is extremely touristy so expect to pay more for the same meal elsewhere in Kaohsiung.

3 Likes

After lunch we walked to the beach and around for a bit. On the way back to the ferry terminal it was time for some snacks.

I thought it was seaweed jelly. Turned out it’s salted lime jelly, pretty sure it was. Very nice.

Stinky tofu here is harder than in the north, and there’s no raw garlic. I like mine soft inside and lightly crispy outside. If you come to Taiwan and don’t eat something stinky and “sinful” then what’s the point?!

The tofu stand is next to shaved ice shop.

Back in Kaohsiung we checked out a night market near Formosa Boulevard MTR and tried noodle soup with boiled duck there. The stall had a queue so it must be a good sign. I asked, using translation app, if the poultry was duck or chicken, they said duck and that sealed the deal. Most people chose offal from a tray. I returned today but they had the day off. Will try again tomorrow. They have other dishes to try. One employee can speak some English, enough that we had a good conversation about her food.

Just one bowl of noodle soup but it’s a very good one.

One of the employees in the photo I made on my way out.

4 Likes

Vegetable dishes are priced reasonably, unlike stateside.

I know these curly tendrils as “mountain vegetable”, seems that’s what Taiwanese call it. We’ve had it offered chilled also, refreshing.

Love fiddlehead fern. May be out of season now. We did find in a couple places. Usually quick fried with garlic, tiny dried fish and some kind of capers like seed.

Of course, ong choy (water spinach) with garlic with almost every meal.

Yam leaves with garlic. Very satisfying.

Fresh baby bamboo. Wonderful sweetness that taste like spring.

Fresh baby corn. Totally unlike the canned ones back home. Delicious lightly cooked.

We bought some raw baby corn at a morning market. They were delicious raw on the plane, cobs and all.

4 Likes

Saw this in Taipei on my first trip but it’s the same here in Kaohsiung. You don’t have to lock your helmet, nobody is going to steal it. At home they will steal anything that’s not locked, vandalising public and private things are a hobby and it’s a “developed” country where I live!

What’s selling at McD’s right now. Is the thing in the middle American hash brown?

Busy/big intersections usually have traffic regulators.

You must take off shoes before entering houses, temples etc but some shops require that you do the same.

Taiwanese love their dogs and this is a common sight. They ride with the owners on the scooters. This guy balances himself on the back seat. Btw, why are there so many feral dogs here? I guess they are abandoned and multiply themselves in no time and they are always roaming in packs, many are black. At least they are not mangy and aggressive at all, unlike in some other countries.

This is not a common sight. I walked behind her to the same place and everyone was looking at her and me. On my first trip to Taiwan it was hot pants that were trendy.

2 Likes

Nice lunch yesterday at a market nearby (10min walk).

Pork dumplings.

I thought it was pickled cabbage at first.

I like cartilage and rind.

Cute little soup dumplings.

I piled the young ginger on the veg myself.

The usual procedure to order is using a form but being a tourist I just point and use a translation app.

2 Likes

On the invoice, duck web with cucumber was printed. But I guess they have changed your order.

Xiao Long Bao looked good.

Right after lunch I fancied shaved ice as it’s so bloody hot. I picked out a few ingredients for my bowl but ended up eating only the ice and 2 things, black and white jelly cubes. I’m familiar with these 2 things but it turned out the rest was just various shapes made from glutinous rice flour. I have an irrational reaction to the texture (triggers gag-reflex) and unfortunately couldn’t eat any more. Also, now I make sure to let them know I don’t want any syrup either. Beans and taro are too sweet, not to mention heavy. Fresh fruits are OK but not tinned fruits. Guess my options are now quite small then. I love seaweed jelly, salted lime jelly and that sort of “safe” thing.

From a distance and behind glass I thought the balls were gingko nuts. How wrong I was! These little glutinous rice flour balls made me squeasy.

1 Like

Yesterday’s dinner at night market near Formosa Blvd MRT. I typed in the app I wanted 2 kinds of vegs, some meat, clams and congealed pig’s blood (I already saw what they had in the chiller cabinet).

What everyone else needs to do to order:

I was expecting something else but sour soup again is OK. I love congealed pig’s blood.

My favourite again. I love clams every which way.

Tender pork with water spinach.

The place is busy, run by a husband-wife team. Whilst the food does not blow anyone’s mind I have a lot of respect for the owners. We watched how they struggled to get things done under high pressure. Just the two of them alone. Wow. The husband does all the stir-frying, the wife gets the soup and other dishes together, takes (take-away) orders, cleans tables and dishes, brings food to tables. In short, most of the work. On top of all this she also has all the patience for tourists like us. After every meal as we pay and leave we thank and bow in reverence to the employees. So much patience and kindness without a trace of invisible condescension. It’s not just a one time thing, it’s every time.

PS: GoogleGourmet, I found another goose restaurant today. Got the name on photos for you (no English texts at all) in case you want to check it out next time. It’s in an unassuming neighbourhood but business is good. I think they were surprised to see us there. I’ll try to upload photos tomorrow.

1 Like

Pretty sure this is legal, Taiwanese being law-abiding citizens.

Although it’s just a reminder (metro ticket purchase for children from age 6) you will quickly notice seeing reminders and signs everywhere you turn for many things you can’t do, with exact amounts of fine. Park your car/scooter somewhere illegal thinking you’ll be back in a couple of minutes getting a pack of cigarettes. Bam! A ninja appears from thin air, makes a photo of your vehicle and number plate and puts a ticket on your vehicle. I have seen it. One time in Taipei I wanted to take a sip of water from my bottle. Just took out the bottle and immediately someone told me I couldn’t drink it. It was not in the train, or even on the platform, just by the ticket machine by the entrance on street level. On long distance train you can forget about it all together. In Japan, on the other hand, they sell beautiful and delicious food for you to eat on the train! Interestingly, it’s OK to spit out the aftermath of betel nut chewing everywhere (in Taiwan).

Taiwan has high quality of life, ranked even higher than the US (might be a surprise to you). I find the people are generally more relaxed here than in Korea. The expats here are very happy for the same reason. Hong Kong and Taiwan are extremely popular amongst expats and both places are very desirable. They are bitter about being stuck in Seoul and eventually they move on to either HK or Taiwan.

It’s a developed country but something traditional still remains. Broom made from twigs.

A popular spot in town, Lotus pond. There are temples and all kinds of activities held here. You can walk around the pond, or sit on the many benches.

I think inside of the statue there is a shrine.

Lotus season is over, I found only 1 left that’s still in perfect condition.

Locals stop and bow then move on. Tourists stop and make photos.

Benches around the pond are super low, back rest is as high as the knee. But elsewhere they are normal height.

City rental bikes. I could have gotten one but never did.

In the West it gets people’s knickers in a knot, here it’s a right to breastfeed one’s child. And on the topic of rights, you are free to love in Taiwan. Lesbians are a very common sight and they are openly affectionate. It’s not for nothing Taipei is the gay capital of Asia. Not only by law one is free to love, it’s also the mentality of the people here.

2 Likes

Porridge with mushrooms, mince and finely chopped preserved eggs (the kind that looks green).

Mine has oysters, prawns, clams etc.

Didn’t want to eat much on purpose because I had planned to eat some fresh fruit afterwards. There’s a wet market where I ate the porridge and there’s also a park nearby so I sat on a bench and ate my fruits.

1 Like

An employee at my hostel helps me find this goose restaurant. It’s not in the centre but easy to get to. In an unassuming location (only bodyshops in the neighbourhood) but business is good. We arrived at 4pm when they were preparing to open so we went to a park nearby to wait. They were surprised to see us again shortly after 5.

Their goose is tender, albeit a bit salty. I did’t mind it though.

I thought the salty broth with chopped basil was meant for the clams but it was not.

The salty broth with basil was for the goose. When I ordered a second plate of goose it came it it.

Great service again. Went out of their way to help us. Shortly after we arrived the place got filled up fast. They must have a good reputation.

Everyone is so busy and there is not young person working here. Tomorrow is my last day in Kaohsiung and this meal will be my last. I have made sure to ask if they are open tomorrow and they are.

My bill. Name of restaurant (on right) in case GoogleGourmet wants to check it out next time.

1 Like

Taiwan has an interesting method of charging for public street parking. There are no parking meters to feed. You park in a legal space, and a parking control officer comes by on a scooter and leaves an invoice on your windshield (looks like a ticket). Take your bill to your local Circle K or Fam Mart to pay.

You may notice some spots on the sidewalk have chalked scribbles. If a tow truck confiscates your illegally parked vehicle, they will scribble on the sidewalk, the name and address of the detention yard where you need to go to retrieve your wheels. Quite a simple effective system.

Thanks for the goose leads, will hit them up on the next go. Sounds like you and I have a similar feel for Taiwan and her people. A very pleasant country to visit with very accommodating citizens.

Very good system. Hit them where it hurts (the wallet) and they eventually stop illegal parking.

Went to another goose restaurant today. Nice, tender goose, bigger portion. Unfortunately no clams.

Partner eats these with coffee every morning. I tried a tiny piece in the shop and it was enough. Too sweet and rich.

Got them here, fancy cake shop across the street from my lodging.

(Beef) noodle soups for lunch.

Preserved turnips, I think. Everyone gets their own from a condiment table/counter.

The pride of Taiwan. There’s even an annual beef noodle soup held in Taipei. Tokyo has the same event for ramen.

Pork broth noodle soup.

Most people do get some extra bits from this counter. They are to be weighed and sliced. Costs extra. We got stir-fried vegs so no need to these.

2 Likes

Snacks at the market. Lots of (wet) markets everywhere. The shaved ice and cold drink stands or shops usually remain open during rest hours (between lunch and dinner).

My options are limited: no syrup, no tapioca or glutinous rice flour. Young seller laughed with raised eyebrowns.

I got 2 kinds of seaweed jelly.

Pastry is flaky and chewy, filling is very juicy (onions and mince). A lot like Bolivian salteña.

One has cheese.

Market stall runs by an elderly couple.

This “feral” dog probably lives here. It comes round every time I eat my shaved ice at the same stall. Easy to tell if they are feral: no collar, somewhat thin, scruffy, sad face.

2 Likes

This place is busy every time we walk by it. I ordered almost everything they have and they put most of it in the broth before bring it to the table.

Offal.

They put the rougher tofu skin in the soup, these are thinner.

Not a vampire. I just love congealed pig’s blood.

Another thing with blood in it.

Half the broth is gone.

I did not ordered testicles and tofu. Photo on the wall shows all the bits you could put in the broth. Couldn’t believe we ate all of it!

The whole place was so hot and steamy, and noisy. Also there’s constant steam coming out of the ceiling.

These people were waiting for tables as we were leaving.

It’s been a week since we arrived. Moving on tomorrow. I’d rather Kaohsiung than Taipei. I had goose and clams 4 times, enough to make me happy.

1 Like

Last 2 days’ meals in Kaohsiung.

Had this in Taipei before but forgot what it tasted like. So, this omelette has a clear and chewy layer on top of the egg layer. Is it tapioca/rice flour? I don’t think it’s necessary. Had to scrape off all the red sauce.

Freshly made dumplings are normal in Taiwan. We enjoyed them every time.

2 Likes