Tacos Where You Live

That’s an awesome idea, tcamp. I’ve never had Central American crema, being so close to the Mexican border (Arizona used to be part of Mexico prior to 1912).

I haven’t seen that big an array of cremas anywhere, ever. And I’m kinda jealous.

2 Likes

P

4 Likes

I believe she called it Taco Belle

(Really…i follow several costume pages and saw this when she made it)

4 Likes

Good story.

4 Likes

HEB takes a lot of the thinking out of shopping for me. Their house brand stuff is always excellent, and their line of Mexican foods branded Mi Tienda is no exception. We always have the table crema and the agria in the fridge. Grilled chicken thighs from their organic heritage chicken line make spectacular tacos wrapped in their flour tortillas, freshly made in their bakery section, or their house brand street taco corn tortillas, crisped a little on a dry comal or the grill, and topped with whatever else is on hand and some crema agria on top is heaven. I usually grill some peppers and onions and add a squeeze of lime and some jalapeños. A can of borracho beans is an excellent accompaniment. This dinner is super quick and easy and is great for summer with so little indoor cooking. I confess this town has loads of great taco options, but homemade always hits the spot. It’s quicker and easier than driving.

7 Likes

7 Likes

No lengua, fish, birria, among the top five of our orders.

That said, we’ll just add that the best ones we know are not served in a rack.

3 Likes
2 Likes

9 Likes

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/bay-area-taqueria-azteca-giant-taco-18525553.php

4 Likes
1 Like

It’s depressing to me that Taco Bell could take number two in this contest. Bleh.

3 Likes

Bear in mind that the bar was placed so low it’s on the ground. Having said that, I will never turn down a JitB taco. I love that meat paste!

3 Likes

Best fast food taco I’ve had recently was from Torchy’s.

The fried avocado with refried pinto beans is a thing of culinary beauty. Even if you are meat lover (like me).

3 Likes

me neither… it should’ve been #1

1 Like

We have been together nearly 45 years, and Mrs. ricepad is STILL surprised (and more than a little revolted) at how much I love JitB tacos. She’ll rant about it a million different ways. I tell her that her problem is that she thinks of JitB tacos as tacos, but they’re not. They occupy their own niche in the food pantheon. The only argument she has that shuts me up is when she says that JitB tacos are to tacos as Chung King is to Chinese food.

3 Likes

If you ever had a Pup 'n Taco near you, you probably remember their Taco Burger. I have never ordered a taco from them… it was always a chili dog or two and a Taco Burger.

There are things out there that are just different/disjointed, but still delicious. Like when I was growing up one of my fav pizzas was BBQ sauce, pineapple, and bacon/chicken/onion. Back then it wasn’t a pizza (good luck getting any pizzeria to make it)… now-a-days a BBQ chicken pizza is commonplace.

2 Likes

I feel like the better analogy is JItB tacos are to tacos as the Filet-O-Fish is to fish sandwiches.

And I love FoF, but they are a food group all unto themselves. Incomparable.

2 Likes

I would agree with your analogy, but I know how Mrs. ricepad feels about JitB tacos and she knows how I feel about Chung King, so it’s a better fit in context.

2 Likes