Tack Room [Lincoln MA]; Blount Clam Shack [Warren RI]; Lobster Pool [Rockport MA]; LexFarm [Lexington MA}

Playing catch-up and trying my best not to work.

We and our friends (2 adults + 4 kids) had an early dinner last Friday at the Tack Room in Lincoln. I’ve previously posted about this place. It’s fine, nothing to go out of your way for, but the service again was spot-on for our large group and we’re grateful for a decent place to eat out when visiting our friends who live down the street. We started with the hummus (a dainty portion but it was gobbled up before I could try it). I had the mussels which was a heaping portion. It’s tough to mess up mussels and these were no exception. B had a burger, our friends had a burger and the bolognese. The kids had some combo of burgers and mac and cheese. The most memorable moment came when a whole glass of red wine fell into our friends’ 9-month old’s face. I had to stifle a laugh and one of the parents said, “well, at least she’s wearing red.” Yes, I am THAT immature. :laughing:

Here’s the wine and baby, pre-wine bath (bolognese in the background).

Yet another lunch at Blount after stopping by our RI house to check out the installation of mini-splits/heat pumps. There was no line on a very hot Saturday. The oil was not hot enough on that wicked hot day. The kale slaw, my clambake chowder, and Spring Onion’s hot dog were fab. We both went with the whole belly clam roll and should’ve stuck with lobster rolls. Oh well. We were still happy.

Afterwards, I bought big freezer bags of the clambake chowder and the RI chowder at the retail shop (and trying not to get too upset about the plastic bags involved). And a pint of the kale slaw.

Lunch this past Sunday (our wedding anniversary, which I had forgotten about…I ain’t the sentimental type) at the site of our wedding feast, the Lobster Pool after an awesome visit to Halibut Point. The lobster rolls weren’t special, but hell, we didn’t care. Cold beer and wine from the packie up the street and decent fries. Good company, too (we brought a friend).

12 Likes

How I enjoy following along on your outings through your reports. Always looking forward to the next one!

P.S. I have decided to use packaged clam chowder as a vehicle for summer corn, potatoes, and some smoked haddock that’s hanging out in our freezer. But mostly summer corn.

4 Likes

Not only do I madly respect your wonderful travelogues, and the adventures of your SO, now you say this:

and I gotta cheer!

3 Likes

I forgot to post the LexFarm portion. I bought these today, amongst many other items.

2 Likes

Do those “fresh zen” sauces have any soy as an ingredient( I’m allergic) ? They look delicious!

Ginger Scallion doesn’t contain soy. Chili garlic has tamari. I can’t wait to try them out. We’re going to St. Louis this weekend to visit friends so they’ll have to wait until next week, at least.

4 Likes

Gratitude, Digga!!!

2 Likes

I’m friendly with the woman who started/owns the company. The sauces are TERRIFIC

5 Likes

That’s amazing! Any idea if she’s planning to expand distribution (obvi to nyc ;-))

Those look YUM!

1 Like

I’ll email her and ask!

1 Like

I think I may have a problem. And there are 2 more jars in the fridge. :wink:

5 Likes

Where did you find the freshZEN sauces, Digga? The website says River St. Whole Foods in Cambridge, Pemberton Farms, Siena Farm at Boston Public Market, but I can’t find it at any of those. I’d prefer not to pay for shipping, if possible? Thanks!

I get my fix at Lex Farm, my friendly neighborhood farm. Take a jaunt out here and you can hit up TJ’s, Penzeys (or Curio on way out here from Somerville), Butternut Bakehouse, Home Taste, Toraya, Roasted Granola, Prep Neighborhood Kitchen, MA France, Meadow Mist farm, Berman’s. Lots of reasons to come out west!

3 Likes

Butternut is EXCEPTIONAL. I think it’s the best bakery in Boston.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the ideas going out west! I am hoping for a end of summer trip to farms in Concord and Lincoln but Lex Farm is much closer, so I think separate trips. (I don’t do Wilson Farm anymore.) I didn’t know about Butternut…so much interesting in Arlington since I moved from there to Somerville almost 20 years ago!

1 Like