Swedish meatballs aren't Swedish after all?

Pa en riktig julbord får man ej glommer bort sill och fiskrätterna !

I think these discussions are silly.

If we’re going to go there, then guess what?

Italian cuisines can no longer use tomatoes as they were imported from the New World after 1500.
Pasta’s from China.
No cuisine except Native American can use corn, beans or capsicums of any variety. No Thai, Chinese or even Hungarian Paprika.
Same with potatoes.
Chickens were domesticated in SE Asia.

Etc., etc.,. etc.

Next you’ll probably tell me that Italian Meatballs aren’t really American!

Diversity. Apparently it doesn’t mean what most people seem to want to believe it does.

It’s a “Melting Pot”. Not a Bento Box.

:wink:

Sorry but we’re going to have to confiscate your Cheong Sam.

No prom for you. :wink:

1 Like

Here’s my prom dress:

370px-Lightning-Cosplay-Valkyrie

How bout them meatballs ???

They aren’t in Sweden either, at least the sour cream and nutmeg.

7b1ee588a17a6d0fe85a6978d2c78c907f424b31_1_393x700

099181d08ded6ed77f3628117bf24f96f82992c7_1_700x210

1 Like

Nice.

Bet you got a little chilly sitting for that portrait.

By the by… I don’t think I’ve had a Swedish Meatball since they were so ubiquitous on the Happy Hour Buffets back in the disco days.

I’m not even kidding!

Yes it’s part of the Hubris. Recipe here:

You must be one of the five people in the US who haven’t been here yet…

ikea-entrance-600

3 Likes

Actually I have one about eight miles down the road and I’ve actually been in the last month but when I go there it seems I’m always en route somewhere else. No way I’m stopping in there just for meatballs. Parking is ridiculous.

I’m intrigued tho’.

Och potatis! There was a claim passed down on my mother’s side that the family had little to eat other than potatoes and that was one reason our ancestor left. The claim undoubtedly belongs in the same file as the one about walking barefoot, 5 miles, in the snow, uphill both ways, to get to school. We discovered actually he would have inherited the nice beginnings of a nearly 300 acre country estate near Sundbo within a year after he left - both his father and older brother died within six months.

Still, it was a rule in my mother’s father’s house (son of the immigrant, born in the UP in the 1890s) that there had to be potatoes on the table at every meal, breakfast, lunch and dinner, seven days a week. I was a little bug-eye to see a big bowl of boiled potatoes on the breakfast table the first time we visited him at his home when I was 9. It looked just like the one that had been on the dinner table the night before and would be on the lunch table later that day, even though he was at work.

I had been to an Ikea Julbord before being contacted by my cousin; I would have been amazed to see trotters and a head on the tables, but there was none. The only pork there’s ever been besides the Julskinka is Prinskorv, and they don’t always have that.

The other Swedish food specialty that amazed me was the Kräftskiva. It’s the only special feast the local Ikea holds every year other than the Julbord (they have done a Paskbord and Middsommer Smörgåsbord some years) and it’s perhaps more popular than the Julbord. People here do love the bugs, Cajun, Vietnamese or Swedish style. I don’t suppose that has Turkish or Persian roots, though. Roman perhaps?

I was eating these since way before Ikea came to town. I’ve got to put these on my shopping list :star_struck:

I pelted my cousin with questions about Swedish cuisine; my mother learned to cook from her English grandmother after her mother died when she was 13; we never had any Swedish foods.

I didn’t ask but my cousin volunteered than Swedes in Sweden do go to the Ikea Cafe and eat Swedish meatballs. I presume with lingon, though, not gravy.

1 Like

Wow soy sauce. I didn’t expect to see that but I guess you can’t so wrong with liquid salt and a little color. Definitely a rather simple recipe.

Ekstroms_Collirit

This is what Swedes use to make brown sauce. It’s a soy concentrate. There will be a bottle in 99 out of 100 fridges in Sweden, even if the only other things in there are a tube of Kalles caviar and an empty ketchup bottle.

Personally I like Yamasa, but Helga can’t make meatball sauce without the colorit.

2 Likes

kalleskaviar300g

3 Likes

I’m not convinced Turkish meat balls are/were made from beef . . .

If we are talking about Köfte, what do you think they are made of? Not pork of course. I thought it would be lamb, but son and daughter in law, who live in Turkey, seem to say otherwise. I was surprised! I can’t say their reporting is unbiased, as DIL lived several years in London and US, and does not like lamb.

From “Turkish Food: 35 Traditional Dishes to Look For in Turkey”
15. Kofte

Which also says “Lamb is the most popular type of meat used in Turkish food. When someone says “meat” in Turkey, more often than not they’re referring to lamb. Turkish people eat a lot of lamb so you’ll find it in many meat dishes like kebabs, kofte, lahmacun, pide, ragout, and casserole.”

Still, they presented a pretty compelling case for beef, at least in parts of Turkey. I can’t remember the specifics.

1 Like

in parts and in the stream of time.
lamb is much more traditional.

1 Like

I certainly prefer lamb, but enjoy a mix as well.

1 Like

My relations call them ‘Finn-balls’. Nothing like the SNL Schwetty ones. Ours are teeny, they take like 60 seconds to cook.

2 Likes