Suspending berries in batter

Tossing berries in flour to prevent their sinking in cakes never works for me, but I seem to have stumbled onto a trick that does. A plastic clamshell of blueberries languished at the rear of the fridge for a couple of weeks. When I got to them they were partially dehydrated. I transferred them to a sealed container and froze them. Weeks later, I used them, still frozen, in blueberry lemon cupcakes. They stayed put. The batter was Trader Joe’s Meyer lemon cake mix. I filled muffin cups halfway, then sprinkled most of the berries on the batter before topping each with more batter. Then I put remaining berries right on top, expecting them to be covered as the cupcakes baked. To my surprise, all the berries remained where I’d placed them.

1 Like

My frozen berries always sink. I usually toss fresh berries with a bit of sugar before adding them to batter. It’s always worked for me. (Thank you, Martha Stewart.)

Grey,
I made the Tj’s Lemon Meyer cake yesterday and added a container of fresh blueberries as well.
Instead of my usual “dusting with flour” (not sure it works), I just added them to the dry cake mix. Added the egg to the water and whisked it. I then added the butter and water/egg mixture and stirred. Baking it took (in my oven), 1hr 10 min. Came out perfect, blueberries were all mixed in.
My church group loved it, but I thought the batter was a tad too sweet.

I’ll try the sugar trick next time, thanks Bookwich.

So it’s more likely the batter than the berries. Good to know. I used melted coconut oil, which the water and egg may have somewhat congealed, even though neither was cold.

The cake itself is not too sweet for me, but I only used half the icing as THAT is very sweet and there’s a lot of it.

I’m not sure if it’s the batter Grey, but it worked this time. My blueberries were freshly bought. and very large though, perhaps that may of helped.