Sushi Taro in DC - Report

Before the pandemic, Sushi Taro had become the king of high-end sushi in DC. They ditched their regular menu and focused on a set menu which made the dinner experience a pricey affair. They still offered a limited a la carte menu at lunch.

But since their reopening for dine-in they have gone back to a full menu with quite a few specials. For most practical purposes it is once again a place you can casually pop into and experience a rarefied cuisine without making this into an entire evening of dinner-as-theatre.

Once again you can enjoy fantastic homemade noodles at any meal. I went for a special of soba in a cold broth with sudashi, a Japanese citrus. Very thin slices of this green fruit were floating atop the soup, and I was encourage to eat the slices whole, peel and all. This was a sublime experience with chewy noodles a light delicious broth and the excitement of the sudashi.

I then went for an item on the regular menu, soft shell crab tempura made with squid ink. What came out was shocking to look at: a coal black crustacean that looked like it didn’t survive an oil spill. Kind of horrifying, actually. The squid ink made the tempura batter a bit thick as it seemed to absorb the frying oil more thoroughly than you’d normally expect from tempura. The result was rich and very filling. This is a dish best shared.

Whatever else you order here, the homemade noodles are one of the best delights of eating in DC.

7 Likes

We thoroughly enjoyed an omakase here (and loved the theatre, too) a few years back, but you’re right - it was a special occasion and we never repeated it. Glad to read about your experience & good to know. Thanks!

1 Like

The omakase and the kaiseki experience are still there for thems that want it, but it is no longer a requirement. That’s a relief for me since I am rarely in the market for an expensive meal like that.

Since it’s an easy walk to Keegan, Theatre J, and Spooky Action, I can easily pop in right before a performance.

1 Like

It wasn’t sushi but i had a rather nice bowl of ramen at Yido just off Rte 7 NW of Greensboro Metro near Tysons Corner. I started w a small bowl of delicately spiced wonton soup that made a nice starter. The Spicy Tonkotsu was only slightly spicey but rich and flavorful. Not the easiest cafe to find, the door is around back of tge main building.
I hope you do not mind my post piggybacking on your sushi post, Steve. I figured a second post about Japanese cuisine would be less useful.

1 Like