Survey: Your Favorite Thanksgiving Pie?

Any other time this choice might require thought, but, on the Holiest of Days, I’ll take a big slab of pumpkin. Black coffee and a snort of apple brandy, if it won’t be too much trouble?

1 Like

A (Apple) if I have to choose but I always have a small slice of both apple and pumpkin. Pie is my favorite dessert. I am going to have to go look up chess pie. I have never heard of it.

I’ve never heard of sour cream raisin pie but I discovered sour cream rhubarb pie this year and it is now one of my favorites. Not a Thanksgiving option, though, unless you have frozen rhubarb.

Growing up we always had pumpkin and apple pies, and while I still feel obligated to eat the pumpkin pie - it’s the season and all that - I much prefer apple pie. Something about the way the crust on a pumpkin pie ends up sort of wet from the custard makes it unappetizing for me.

C. Pumpkin W/a little Cointreau or what have you folded into the whipped cream. Or in the coffee.
But I have to ask Team Pecan: I guess there must be some kicking recipes out there I haven’t discovered. The friends and family contribution always seems too too damn sweet. Is there such a thing? I’s say, yes. Help me out w/thoughts here because in theory the more nuts the better.

f. Pecan. With a puddle of creme anglaise, please.

Lemon meringue please!

Thanks for your feedback.
Attached is our survey result.

We like pumpkin pie and pecan pie the most, followed by apple pie and lemon meringue pie.

Meanwhile the NPR and Huffington Post results are…
NPR:

Huffington:

Thanks Chem . 0 % for Blueberry ; what ? warm with vanilla ice cream . If it wasn’t Thanksgiving that would be my # 1 .

We don’t have anything like Thanksgiving in the UK (although some churches have “harvest festivals”). And my favourite pies are savoury, not sweet as everyone else is mentioning - cheese & onion and pork.

But for sweet pies at this time of year, nothing beats wimberry. Although apple & blackberry comes close. Both with custard, please.

Time and place, my friend. I mean, I love tequila, but I’m not looking for a margarita with brunch on New Year’s Day either (obviously, that’s time for a Jager Bomb).

Actually, it would be interesting to see a general “favorite pie” tally. Put me down for a peak-of-season peach.

1 Like

Obviously, there is a big difference between the NPR vs the Huffington polls. Not sure why since they both asked for “favorite pie during Thanksgiving”. Anyway, the NPR poll seems to suggest that people just want their favorite apple pie and strawberry pie regardless of the season.

Gotta wonder what the split would be at National Review or Fox News.

2 Likes

Now I’m a mistake in your spreadsheet :cry:

-gaffk aka gaffe

1 Like

:slight_smile: I was looking over and over… and I was like. I am sure gaffk wants chocolate. What mistake? Finally, I realize that the mistake is the name, not the pie. Got it. I will correct the spelling in the next update.

No prob. I got a chuckle out of it. I’m sure it was spellcheck wanting a real word there.

Pumpkin, using the recipe my mother used on the back of the old Del Monte pumpkin can… though I think I prefer sweet potatoes over canned pumpkin now.

Final update. Thanks everyone. :slight_smile:

Pumpkin pie got the most votes, followed by Pecan.

1 Like

Late to the party…

Several years ago I found a recipe for Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie. Sinfully rich, loved by all we serve it to at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The more dark chocolate involved, the less sweet it seems. I don’t have a particular recipe, but all the pecan pies I’ve had that aren’t like drinking straight from a bottle of Karo syrup involve dark chocolate in some form.