Survey: Love Raw Oyster -- Yes, no, maybe?

1. Love them. DH (who hates sushi) has even acquired a taste for them. But, living in So Cal, I tend to wait until I am at a restaurant or bar that I trust. I’ve never bought or shucked my own. We travel to San Francisco a lot, and our first stop is usually Hog Island in the Ferry Plaza for a dozen oysters and a few cocktails at the bar.
2 Likes

4…I have grown to enjoy raw oysters and even admit to liking them more than clams on occasion…need the appropriate condiments, too.

1 Like

Same thing happened to me.

Weird – I put “4” as my response and it changed it to 1 too!

This was typed as a FIVE. Like others, once posted it changed to 1. Noticed it too late to edit.

While I am a 5 on oysters, I am a 1 on clams. I often pass on a shellfish tower if they won’t substitute for the clams.

1 Like
  1. I had my first raw oysters a. few years ago and it was love at first bite. Ordered 1/2 dozen local at Eventide in Portland, ME. Eschewed the exotic mignonettes (even the lemon) because I wanted to taste the oysters. Slurped, chomped a couple of times and wow - just wow! Living in the middle of the country, I waited to try them until I was in a place where they lived ( although I have been assured that there a few places in my town that serve excellent oysters). Tell me, oyster aficionados, are oysters one of those things that ship successfully (if handled correctly)? I choose to eat my seafood on vacation, near its source (except for crab legs, which seem to freeze well without loss of quality). Would the oysters I would get at a local higher end bistro in town be noticeably inferior to those I eat on the coasts (they specialize in oysters)? I have read so many horror stories about the consumption of “bad” oysters, I am a little gunshy.
1 Like

They’re vile.

I was texted this pic earlier today from a friend
who lives in Boca Raton…he was enjoying oysters at a happy hour…or two

3 Likes

Love, but they’re kind of a luxury (price-wise), so I haven’t indulged much recently. 4.8?

1 Like

Like em well enough.

Brings back memories of undergrad college days were my roomies and I would head to Cedar Key buy a bushel or two and a case of beer and sit on the beach and consume large amounts of osysters and beer

I really enjoyed the oysters at Tomalis Bay. Very different from our Gulf oysters

2 Likes

Price is of concern and keeps me from indulging as often as I would like but now I’m more concerned with temperature and water quality.

2 Likes

Maybe the forum software developers are oyster haters.

3 Likes

Absolutely love oysters. Must be raw. Just a squeeze of lemon, tabasco (sometimes) and some curly parsely. No more and no less.

I eat a dozen almost every week, sometimes 2 dozens, over the kitchen sink. My weekly zinc injection.

3 Likes

Colchester Natives are a 5 all day long. Those giant oysters the MIL brought round one Xmas that needed tackling with a knife and fork ( we christened them horse oysters) a definite 1.

1 Like

:confounded::confounded::confounded: ugggghhhh just reading about a bad oyster experience makes me cringe…so sorry.

1 Like

4.5 (No I can’t go with any of the given options)

I love raw oysters particularly as a precursor to a great steak. My ideal meal starts with oysters and shrimp cocktail, followed by a great steak. I’m only rating a 4 & 1/2 instead of 5 because I don’t know what is being considered “good money” to seek out good oysters. I have paid probably around $5. a piece for some truly delicious small Japanese oysters (similar to those pictured in the original thread photo)…the shells were uniquely rounded and smooth on the bottom shell, supposedly from the oysters rocking in their bed due to the currents in the area they were harvested. Probably he best oysters I have ever had. I don’t think I would pay much more than $5. a pop for them…so that’s my “good money” threshold.

One of my all time favorite app’s are oyster shooters!! Nothing like killing two birds with one stone!!

Quick oyster story…I only started eating them as a sigh of “macho-ism”. I was out at a business dinner with a female counter part, when it came to ordering she was so excited they place had oysters she ordered them as an appetizer, I ordered something else. To this point in my life, approximately 15 years ago so I was around 30yo I had never eaten an oyster and found them rather disgusting. Once the app’s arrives she offered me one of her oysters which I graciously declined, to which she responded with something like; " Don’t tell me a big tough guy like you doesn’t eat oysters"…not willing to be “called out” I responded; " Don’t be ridiculous of course I do, I was trying to be polite and let you enjoy your appetizer, but now give me one" …and I begrudgingly swallowed it down. Surprised by how much I enjoyed it, I then took a second from her while saying; “This is what you get for teasing me”…ever since then I’ve truly enjoyed them.

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s thinking you’re making a list and autocorrecting to start with one. Just a guess!

Five : love raw oysters, though I too like the smaller varieties more. The only ones that are really too big for me to eat raw are Belons. They’re HUGE! I really love the Kumamatos and Blue Pool from the West coast, and most New England oysters (except those Belons).

1 Like

I’d say I’m a 2.5. I don’t seek them out or order them in restaurants, but if there’s a raw bar at a seafood buffet or a wedding, I’ll have one or two just to see if I still feel as lukewarm about them as usual. The answer is always yes. I enjoy them fried, but if I’m going to eat a fried mollusc, I’d rather have clams.

1 Like