Supply chain problems with jars and bottles

No mention of whether or not the supply of home canning jars is affected. Autumn is an extra-bad time fir THAT to happen!

1 Like

This sucks. Maybe one should start stocking stuff now.

1 Like

The struggle is real and applies to paper and plastic food packaging as well. I started stocking up on holiday packaging in September and it has been a challenge. Discontinued here, out of stock there, tripled in price one place, supposedly in production but nowhere to be seen another.

I got my glass jars, though, and the good news there is my local supplier is back doing will-call pick up again. This time last year they weren’t allowing it and I had to pay them to ship UPS to my business 3 miles down the road. It really cut into my profits but I sucked it up. This year I’m raising prices.

4 Likes

X x

Jars & bottles have been a nightmare for the last year. This year, for the first time ever, we packaged a product in plastic. 8 oz Woozy bottles which we use for hot sauce are just not available anywhere in the CONUS. So we had to use plastic . Smooth quart mason jars have been very problematic as well. We’ve had trouble getting Hock bottles & vinaigrette bottles. In August my local supplier (that woman is a godsend) got a couple pallets of pints & tureen jars for jam. We bought 186 cases to get us through the end of the season.

Recently, Walmart has had some stock of Ball pints & quarts.

3 Likes

Agree, bottles and canning supplies (lids, rings, etc) are scarce here too - PNW. In fact, no two piece lid set ups to be found, only lid/ring combos available. Probably here to stay…BUT, have found some warped new lids that simply don’t fit the jars. Just one or two here and there, not like a whole defective pack. Luckily the giftees of my jams are returning their bottles, and I stocked up fairly well on lids, rings and 1 piece units last year. Hopefully that will see me through until next summer, but we’ll see.

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Bessarabsky Market, Kyiv. Ukraine
Credit: Juan Antonio Segal, Flickr