Supermarket Pet Peeves

Add that to the things I absolutely do not need but are now sitting in my Amazon cart. Then will come the day where I actually do need something, and will ignore the convenient buy now button in favor of checking out with approximately 30 items I barely recall putting in there to begin with. It’s like Christmas :joy:

6 Likes

Once I got those I stopped using my round measuring spoons.

6 Likes

As far as spices, I’ve stopped measuring them. I kind of eyeball how much I need and tap/pour it into the cap, then add it to the recipe. If I have too much I empty the cap back into the bottle and try again.

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever used that few capers in my life. I adore them. I wish I could find another 12 oz jar, I can’t remember where I found the last one, but it seems like it was H Mart. Is that possible?

1 Like

Costco here in NJ has Paesana brand in a 32-ounce jar.

3 Likes

@ewsflash, are you in the Los Angeles, CA area?

If so, I recommend Bay Cities Italian Deli for your caper needs.
They have a huge variety of sizes of brine packed capers. I prefer salt packed. I buy big tubs which last quite a while.

https://www.baycitiesitaliandeli.com/

1 Like

Another packing peeve: packaging that has a line to show you where to cut, but when you cut there, it’s still sealed. Okay, on resealable packages that’s better than having you cut into the seal, but still…

I often end up with two or even three strips before I actually have the package open (especially with brick coffee).

7 Likes

But the adults with toddlers are also touching the toddlers hands, wiping their noses, and then the adults touch the produce. I’ve seen plenty of adults sneezing on the produce. You have to assume all the produce is covered in germs from a cast of thousands.

Now a baby wearing only a cloth diaper and a tee shirt, no cover over the diaper, sitting in the child seat…!!! That really gets me! I never use that child seat to put in anything in now.

This is why I do most of my shopping in two or 3 locally owned family stores. Except one of them put in self service lanes. I boycotted them for over a year. I believe they claimed they couldn’t get help …. The other two stores didn’t seem to have that labor problem, though.

I’ve seen people lay down a barrier cloth/plastic over the child seat.

A customer had her kitten in the shopping cart when I was at the supermarket yesterday. That was a new one for me.

3 Likes

Our nearby Albertson’s (part of Safeway) no longer mails their weekly ad but you can get it via email. In addition they’ve created an app that lets you shop deals. The app is a bit tech-challenging (for me anyway). We live in a 55+ community immediately adjacent to the store and I’m sure lots of our neighbors are more challenged by it than I am…… if they use it at all. Ralph’s, OTOH, still mails weekly ads and sends paper coupons every month. Gonna be interesting to see what happens if the Kroger/Albertsons merger goes through.

3 Likes

I think you’re talking the app where we’re supposed to scan the QR code to get the bargain.
Different from just entering your phone number at checkout.
Making us do their work for them :frowning:

I haven’t ever gotten it to work for me.

3 Likes

No. This app lists deals which you “clip” to activate and are linked to your phone number which you enter at checkout. Sometimes those ‘deals’ don’t show up on checkout though. Frustrating.

1 Like

Agreed. Also, sometimes articles that are on the shelves and marked as a “deal” don’t exist in the software so I can’t even “clip” them.

I think that this process is deliberately made difficult so people will give up and pay regular price. However, if the “sale” price doesn’t work for me, and the checker can’t make it work, I simply don’t buy the item. I wish there were other grocery options, but for regular supermarkets, at least here in Vegas, it’s either Albertsons or Vons (already the same company), or Smith’s, which will all become one company if the merger goes through. What a racket.

1 Like

Wish I did, I’m in southern AZ. At some point I’ll be back in the L.A. area, thank you for that link!
\

The WalMart near me has the same mile-long bacon/sausage cooler only they also have every kind of lunch meat ever made EXCEPT Oscar Meyer Olive Loaf, which is the only one I want.

1 Like

A bit late in replying, I know. But I wonder how many are folks like me, with an allergy in the family (peanuts, nuts here), who are looking at everything that has a label to see if it’s safe to bring home.

I don’t think I saw this pet peeve. This happens to me 3 out of 5 times. I go to the deli to get cold cuts by the lb. I tell them the weight and the cold cut. Either they immediately forget one or the other. How much of this ham? 1/2 lb of what again? I repeat much of the information twice at best, sometimes three times. Then I rarely get the amount I wanted. Usually more. Sometimes a lot more. 1/4 lb isn’t the same as .42. 1/2 lb isn’t .6. It’s all at $15 a lb, so I’m not trying to be upsold. I’d rather they either give me slightly less, or ask if x is ok when it goes over, which occasionally they do.

3 Likes

OMG TOTALLY. It would drive me absolutely insane when I was doing Instacart during Covid. I’d order all the cold cuts first, then pick up all the other products. Get back, and inevitably it would be half a lb when it was supposed to be a whole lb, adding to my timer and general hatred of the world :rofl:

4 Likes