Supermarket Pet Peeves

Amen to this. From what I have seen, self-checkout at supermarkets is also slower. I make an effort to vote with my dollars by going to grocery stores with actual humans handling the checkout.

1 Like

Our local grocery just added cart corrals which really pisses me off. They will load your groceries into your car if it’s too much to carry (without a fee or a tip) so there is absolutely no need to take up parking spaces for these ugly things. It really cheapens the look. I also hate when the cashier starts ringing up the person behind me before my grocery bags are in my cart. No one is that important and no one should be in that much of a hurry.

2 Likes

What did you do with the carts before the corrals?

And I agree with waiting until your items/bags are off the end of the cashier’s line before the next person’s items start being scanned.

1 Like

Personally, I love the self-checkout. But one of my businesses is grocery shopping, and I’m often faster than most supermarket staff at the register :wink:

3 Likes

At Kroger today - Regular sale items ring up with the store card while better priced sale items must be loaded digitally onto your card ahead of time. So we loaded up our digitals and off we went. Some rang up correctly but some did not. Other people were having the same problem. The poor guy in charge of self checkout was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. A simple thing like grocery shopping should not be this difficult/complicated. Whatever happened to one sale price for all.

1 Like

If I had too many bags to carry I grab a tag and use the parcel pickup lane. Easy, peasy. No taking a cart into the parking lot.

If you don’t mind me asking–and of course don’t feel compelled to answer–where is this grocery store?

West side of Cleveland, Ohio. It’s a family owned, local chain of grocery stores.

2 Likes

Wow, I’ve had store employees ask if I need help when I have a large-ish order. But I haven’t seen what you describe since I was a kid in the 70s (and they actually didn’t allow carts to be taken into the parking lot).

But I must admit, since the pandemic I’ve gotten very used to having my groceries delivered and carried right into my kitchen.

3 Likes

You are hilarious. I love the word “dither”. I have a handicapped placard and depend on it to get in and out of grocery stores without falling. I am an official old woman but I do not maul loaves of bread - I actually do not like much of it lol.

1 Like

Harris Teeter did one way aisles when Covid was at its worst. It was irritating beyond belief. Funny now but I was a bit short tempered at the time.
I usually only hit 3 aisles and all three of them were East bound aisles. If just one had been West bound it would have worked perfectly!
Alas.
When it comes down to rules, in general I think the best rules are the ones we don’t have.
Just two rules come to mind that are worth having. Be considerate of others and don’t frighten the horses.

1 Like

I’ve got one, too, but it sounds like I’m generally in a better place. I can make up to about 1/4 mile before it gets painful enough I have to sit for a while. So the only place I use it is airports or a convention forum, where the walk can be 1/3 of a mile or more.

Same here with Kroger and Aldi stores. And I visited a daughter in South Florida and found the Publix stores were doing that, too. Silly bit of inconvenience bereft of benefit, but I guess good intentions.

2 Likes

Covid led to a lot of silly ideas. I still remember going out for a drive just to drive because I had been home alone all day. And going to the Harris Teeter near me and there were no items on the pasta shelves, no yeast for bread, no Lysol, no prepared foods. And I remember thanking my favorite cashiers for coming to work. And seeing that they were worried. None of the HT employees near me died of Covid but I will always remember who was deemed to be essential workers. It wasn’t politicians or lawyers. It was grocery store workers, delivery drivers, Realtors and nurses.
Thank you to all the people that worked through Covid!

2 Likes

“One way aisles when Covid hit” that was challenging and difficult to remember going to the market. Our large superstore has very tall robots that patrol the isles and they startle the hell of me. I hate them. I’m short. I have no idea of their purpose except possibly to get you out of the store as fast as they can.

1 Like

Checks have been written to the U.S. Treasury Department rather than the Internal Revenue Service for several years now.

They cash them either way.

1 Like

And even medicine! I was pissed when I was told to do my son’s eye exam 25 years ago, and now I’m told a DIY pap smear is in the works! Pros and cons.

2 Likes

I, on the other hand, always request that eggs be in their own bag.

However, I bring reusable bags.

That is accurate, Evelyn. But they still cash them no matter what if directed to the Infernal Revenue Service.

Hence my wife’s irritation at my idiosyncrasies.

My first response was !!!. My second is, oh, that actually seems like a pretty good idea.

2 Likes