Supermarket Pet Peeves

Yes indeed … do you know that some of the employees still worked there at the time they closed, and are currently at Shoprite in Scarsdale, what a disaster for them. Don’t get me started :disappointed_relieved: Just south of that store was the Waldbaums where they made rotisserie duck, chicken, goose and just about anything else that could be skewered onto a spit.

I wonder if the wedding reception was at a McDonald’s. I have to look for a photo I took at a McDonald’s in Peekskill that was decorated to the nines a few years ago on Valentines day! I stopped in to use the restroom after taking eagle pics on the Hudson River. EDIT found it

2 Likes

All of this grocery talk is bringing me back to my youth. :smile:

When I was in high school and some college I worked as a box boy, then a checker at a store in CA called Alpha Beta. I don’t think it exists anymore.

At that time, there was not any ready to eat foods. The produce department seemed to be the biggest draw.

What I recall about those days are the people. Almost NO ONE had a full time job. We were all part-time, but you could pick up shifts by taking others shifts. It was fun-and good money. About 90% of our checkers in that day were women. The men checkers (like me) doubled as stockers, loaders, etc. I don’t know what that says, nor do I care. One of the best times in my life.

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but it got me melancholy and smiling remembering the good ol days.

6 Likes

Love it! A HS friend of mine was a PT cashier at a finast, she earned enough $$$ to buy a car and go to Europe her senior year … I remember her always picking up holiday shifts $$$$ Thank you for sharing that memory

Happy employees are one of the main reasons to shop at a store. If they are POed
than I likely will be too.
Why I try never to set foot in a Wal*Mart.

2 Likes

Do you mean in Queens?

No, this one just south of High ridge, in front of the Carriage House, was Patricia Murphy’s and is now a strip mall with an Outback, gym, Staples

waldbaums%20central%20avenue

Just found this below FYI

Thanks, and you know a funny thing is-- I got that job as a result of being in a “ROP” program in high school. I don’t recall what ROP stood for, and I don’t think they have it now (at least I didn’t hear about it when my daughter was in school), but it was great.

It was basically a school class (period) where you just went and worked (for free) to get experience. My buddy and I worked at this very small mom and pop grocery store for our ROP work. We both ended up getting jobs at Alpha Beta. It was sort of like an internship in today’s terms.

There were many like us and some actually made a career out of it. As I said, if you got to be a checker, it was good money. You could pick up shifts, there were a lot of people that got jobs there as a start, but ended up making a career out of it. Those were the days.

Boy, the way Glen Miller sang!

2 Likes

Played. Unless the second line is “songs that made the hit parang,” and i’ve been wrong all this time.

1 Like

LOL, I guessed. I don’t really know what Edith was singing. I could be wrong.

It is very interesting the experiences at Walmart. I HATED it in San Diego when I lived there. Like you say, very unhappy employees, rude customers, shelves depleted, OH my. I used to say, I would pay EXTRA to avoid Walmart.

Then I moved to the PNW. We have this gigantic superstore in Battle Ground. It is clean, extra nice employees, always checkers open, people just roaming around asking if they can help you. It is an amazing experience. I LOVE going there. I think area matters.

1 Like

That would be a new experience for me.

1 Like

Come on up! We could do lunch and tour the facilities. :smile:

1 Like

Oh! Got my posts messed up!

1 Like

Both lines are right (except it’s parade. :grinning:)

1 Like

Not having given it much thought, that was an interesting show when it comes to food. Notice, they ate at home almost all the time, and a lot of their stories were centered around the table. That was, of course, the norm back then. They had things like liver, stew, eggs, sandwiches a lot.

When they went out to dinner, it was either a special occasion, or by need (blackout). That is just the way I recall it.

1 Like

Also horsemeat, one time.

1 Like

I’m remembering a few grocery trips as well. There was a “Royal Farms” within a mile or two in my very early childhood, but I also remember long trips to a very different part of Queens in search of “cold cuts”.

7 Likes

Yeah, I know. An earworm but in a good way. But the one I posted was the first cartoon that featured the character - you know, his origin story. :slight_smile: Once it was clear that people liked the character they made more cartoons and did a theme song.

2 Likes