Supermarket Pet Peeves

The local grocer I frequent the most has a top-down policy from corporate that anything mis-charged is free. This seems to have the desired effect, as they don’t often make mistakes. (Although I mentioned above a free $70 ham one time).

4 Likes

Our local multi-state chain grocery store also does this. Depending on the amount, it’s sometimes not worth shifting over to the single customer service line or returning to the store once the overcharge is detected. I would put in the effort for a $70 ham, though.

2 Likes

Not too long ago I was using change in a pharmacy and I found it took me a moment to be sure what it was. It looked and felt a little strange! The checker went in the back and figured it out.

I took all the change I had in my bedroom and it was more than $75.00!

5 Likes

A few years ago we were at a Whataburger drive thru. Total was $6.23. I handed her a $20. Then as an afterthought said oh here’s a quarter. I wasn’t paying too much attention until I hear my husband say uh oh I think we have a problem here. Glanced over to see the girl looking between the quarter in her hand and I suppose change due on the register. This back and forth went on for a full minute. Then she finally looked at me and said “ Do I really have to do this?” I said no, that’s ok .

4 Likes

Just noticed this was the Super Market pet peeves thread. I confused it with the Fast Food thread which is long gone.

1 Like

It’s not this?

Nope. This locked up thread.

Ah, forgot about that one! Thanks!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Supermarket NON Pet Peeves

Save $.25 for Aldi’s.

The first time I went to Aldi’s, I had my quarter at the ready. As I approached the carts, a woman said to me, here, give the your quarter and take my cart. So I didn’t have to figure out how to work the carts …

2 Likes

So she stands there and intercepts the returned carts and then takes the next person’s quarters?
Ingenious way to make a living!
:wink:

2 Likes

Remember Tom Hanks’ character in The Terminal? It worked for him!

4 Likes

Giant had this policy in D.C. Running joke in our house is “I WANT IT FREE!” spoken as indignantly as possible. It was funny to overhear.

1 Like

Depressing.

2 Likes

I actually like that they allow the clerk to sit in Europe. Tough being in your feet all day. In the local grocery, many cashiers still try to bag for you, even if you bring your own bags, so I understand that standing is easier for that, but giving the option of a chair seems reasonable (as long as they don’t turn into a Seinfeld episode…)

3 Likes

The security guard episode totally popped up when you said that.

1 Like

Some version of this is probably on here already, but I just saw it while reading this Costco cart etiquette article.

The Kitchn The Problem with the Shopping Cart Theory

On the heels of the annoying restaurant feature thread, try this: What features of modern grocery stores annoy you the most? Here’re some of mine:

1. Not grouping all dairy in one or adjacent cases.
  2. Forcing shoppers to self-scan (aka having few/no real checkers).
  3. Not enforcing the “X Item Limit” express lane rules.
  4. Locked display cases.

What’re yours?

1. Placing staple items and produce at distant, opposite ends of the store.
1 Like

This thread, too, already exists.

2 Likes