[Mod note: split from Dumpling City discussion]
Husband and I visited both Dumpling City and Dumpling Depot, because Dumpling City only had frozen dumplings for sale, so they referred us to their sister location Dumpling Depot.
When we arrived at Dumpling Depot (which used to be a Chinese vegetarian joint decades ago) at 7pm, we were starving! Unfortunately, we had to wait outside with a half dozen other people who were also clamoring for some dumplings.
The restaurant was a pretty standard Chinese restaurant with seating for about 50. They’re fairly new, about 4 months old and clearly have some kinks to work out. That is, they were severely understaffed. 2 wait staff for 50 covers? They need to hire more people.
Despite the wait time (both to get seated and to get served), we were not disappointed. This place is legit. Here’s what we had:
- Chilled Noodles - I was expecting hit-you-in-the-face flavor, but I found it pleasantly mild and refreshing. The noodles had good chew, which is essential in this type of dish.
- Vegetarian Dumplings (because I’m vegetarian) - Perfect skin. Great chew. The filling was very good. Again mild, but in a good way. It can improve, but very good.
- Salt Pepper Tofu - Perfect. Love the thin crisp layer from frying and the soft tofu inside.
- Vegetarian Potstickers - Same filling as the boiled dumplings, but different shape and cooking method. Well executed. I chuckled when it came out as you see in the photo. There was zero presentation effort, but that’s okay. It was delicious.
- Green Chive Dumplings w/ Egg - This one had a lot of Chinese chive flavor and if that’s your thing, you’ve got to order this. I really enjoyed it. Here’s a picture of the inside filling:
All in all, it was worth the drive down to Sunnyvale and the wait in line. One caution, though, it’s not as cheap as I’d expect a place like this to be, but its quality makes up for the extra cost. Definitely worth a try.
Here’s their menu: https://www.dumplingdepot.com/menu
Have a tasty time!!