Sunday lunch at Oak to Ember [Gloucester MA]

Our friend is moving from Gloucester in a couple of weeks so we up with her and a friend on Sunday. Had a very nice lunch at Oak to Ember, which is in the former space of Cape Ann Brewing (:disappointed_relieved:), a place we loved. This was certainly fancier than the 3 of us usually do and we would do it all over again.

First of all, the space knocked me OUT. The exterior is recognizable, but the inside is completely different and stunning. These are the same folks who helm Tonno, another high end-ish place that we havenā€™t visited. This ainā€™t your grandmaā€™s Gloucester anymore.

We started with the chips and queso (I thought it was just ok but the 3 other adults ate it up and then someā€¦ordered more chips). Too rich for my taste. The orders around the table were scallops (loved), burger (B loved it), calamari and a big salad (I think she liked itā€¦she took most of the calamari homeā€¦to me, it looked a little pallid); mussels and side of broccolini for me (both were spectacular, but letā€™s be honest hereā€¦it tough to mess up mussels, but the sourcing shone through), hot dog for Spring Onion. And I NEVER leave good mussel broth behind. I packed that shit up and repurposed it into a delicious mussel pasta dish last night, doctored up with crushed red pepper, lemon, and parmesan.

Letā€™s just say, B and I will be back long after our friend has moved.

Giggleā€¦I didnā€™t want to take photos of everyone elseā€™s platesā€¦It felt too gauche, so only a few photos.

8 Likes

wow, sounds great, as does Tonno! I hope we get to try it. Our ā€œspring onionā€ is 23 and the burger may be too fancy for him. Iā€™m sure they would not allow someone 6ā€™5" to order the hot dog (he came to us age 7 after significant food trauma). Maybe we could swing it if we stayed overnight on the north shore and he ate elsewhere. We also looking at Landing in Marblehead and Settler in Salem and bakeries in Salem.

2 Likes

On Sundays, they offer a ā€œSmoked Sundayā€ menu, straight from their new smoker and there is a Wagyu hot dog that is $13; at least 2 of the adults in our group considered ordering that. I think your son, who I feel I like know by now, would do just fine. Even if you went on a Saturday and you wanted the kid hot dog for him, itā€™s the kind of place where I canā€™t imagine they wouldnā€™t bat an eye about such a request.

3 Likes

I feel like I know you, B, and SO! Good to know about Oak to Ember, thanks! (still hoping to rent your friendsā€™ place at the Cape, by the way).

1 Like