Sumac Mediterranean Grill, Belmont, CA

I was reading about Tawla and came across a Saveur article talking about Mediterranean food in the Bay Area. It mentioned Sumac, a newly renovated (in 2016) Med restaurant in Belmont under new ownership. Yelp reviews were glowing so I grabbed some takeout. The chef was Palestinian.

I grabbed the mezze sampler (hummus, baba ghanoush, falafel, dolma, and tzatziki) and the lamb/ beef shawarma.

Loved the tzatziki but only had a small sauce container of it. The baba ghanoush was a sour and interesting rendition. It, like the hummus, was fine. I preferred Oren’s. Falafels were big. Like somewhere between a baseball and a golf ball.

The pilaf that came with the shawarma was great. The lamb and beef were a bit dry.

What other dishes do people like at Sumac?

1 Like

I tried Sumac a few weeks back and wasn’t impressed with it at all. Sababa in SF was much better.Give that a try if you haven’t! :slight_smile:

Thanks. I was a bit perplexed by the superlatives in the article after the meal. The article positioned the restaurant, along with others as the best in the Bay Area. Its not that they are bad but there are others that are better. Glad to know I am not the only one.

1 Like

Have you tried Tawla yet? I have a reservation next week and am excited about it!

Not yet. Please let us know how you like it!