Stratapan - Clad carbon steel

Yeah, but then now I worry the carbon steel being too thin. Maybe an alternative design is semi-similar to the All Clad MC2? A large aluminum layer with a carbon steel cooking surface. With the carbon steel layer, it won’t be a dishwasher safe cookware anyway. I suppose the only reason to have the stainless steel is to have it more induction compatible.

I’m just repeating what someone else wrote, but I believe the aluminum core is 2mm and the flanking steel layers are 0.35mm each.

As for aesthetics, many people want their cookware to “match”. For those whose other cookware is SS, this line may hold appeal.

I’m in no rush to buy any of this. But I would like to handle and cook in it.

They have not confirmed international shipping, outside U.S yet, but they are figuring the possibility. This construction is something I would like to own, so if they confirm it for a reasonable price, I might place the order.

1 Like

They look interesting, but of course not for me.

They might have more even heating without the hotspots I sometimes found in my carbon steel pans.

I’m still glad I got rid of my Darto’s and Mineral B Pro’s and got the Demeyere Proline trio instead (20/24/28)

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m the lead designer for Strata. I saw this post and just wanted to say it’s great to see so much interest in our project!

We’ll be launching in early January on Kickstarter.

Please feel free to give any feedback or ask me any questions here, I’m happy to answer.

-Will

Hi,

Nice to see you here, good luck with the launch.

Are you decided the sizes are both 10 and 12 inch? Is shipping outside U.S confirmed yet? Any other carbon steel products on the roadmap?

Hi, thanks for the questions.

The sizes will be 10" and 12." We will be shipping outside the U.S., cannot confirm which countries yet. We absolutely will expand our product line with more carbon steel sizes/shapes after this launch, but what exactly we’ll make is not finalized yet.

1 Like

Some shapes that would make sense to me would include a crepe pan and a wok or country frypan.

1 Like

We’ve had a couple others ask for a wok as well. It makes a lot of sense as it could benefit from the aluminum layer spreading the heat.

Hmmm, a wok…
–Most woks are carbon steel lined anyway.
–The localized hot spot/cooler rim is a virtue, not a vice. Evenness less important.

A griddle would be my first choice beyond frypans. But I’d thicken the core by at least another 1-2mm.

To Kaleokahu’s point… People ask for a wok… probably because there is a large carbon steel wok user base. A wok probably would not benefit as much from an aluminum core. My worry is that many people use stovetop seasoning for wok which is much higher temperature than the oven seasoning, and I don’t know if your cladding will be weaken at high temperature.

A crepe pan is nice though. A more even heating crepe pan.

I understand the upper portions of the wok shouldn’t be as hot, but a clad wok with an aluminum core seemed to make sense for those with an electric or induction stove, which really have trouble spreading heat at all beyond the small area that’s touching the heating element.

Griddle is a great recommendation, I agree, it makes even more sense than a wok to me. Thickness we would decide through testing.

To your point about high temperatures, the pre-production test units have been tested very harshly and stood up great. Heated to over 600F with rapid heating and quench cooling without issues. We’re also doing accelerated cycle testing. Time will tell of course, but we expected them to be and have so far seen them to be very durable.

Crepe pan recommendation noted, thanks. We’ll keep it in mind.

Thanks. Here are some photos of common wok seasoning. The woks usually get heat up to high temperature including changing color. Good to hear about your accelerated stress test.

Glad you have a large carbon steel wok customer base.

I encourage you to try to ascertain what the sales numbers are for the existing lines of clad woks before you go that route. My bet is that ‘small’ would still be too large.

The Strata idea is interesting.: a May/September marriage of technologies. How the downsides of CS are managed and received will probably be determinative of success.

Have you considered any alloy that is closer to SS in resisting corrosion, e.g., D2?

Good point, absolutely we’re going to carefully monitor any market before launching alternative products. To that end, we’ll start with our current 10" and 12" frying pans and see how they do before launching others. We’ve only looked at carbon steel for the cooking surface currently, interesting thought though for possible future investigation.

Hi.

Your product looks interesting.

Where in the world will your pans be manufactured?

Thank you! To answer your question:

All of our design, prototyping, and testing is done here in our shop in Maryland, as well as final quality control and warehousing. Ultimately the production manufacturing will happen with our partner company in Suzhou, China. This enables us to keep the price lower than we could if produced here. I know that’s a touchy subject, but they’re not just some contract manufacturer we don’t know, we’ve worked with them exclusively for over 8 years on products through our contract product development business, Gizmatic (https://gizmatic.com/). They’re an incredible team and give us a direct presence to ensure a high quality product. All that being said, we do eventually plan on moving manufacturing here if we can.

2 Likes

Sounds like a competent team.

But have you made any effort to find a more local partner to develop and manufacture your pans. In other words, not made in China?

I agree. Yes, we have and are always looking at options.