Strange bar snacks?

I can never remember what was where. I’ll walk past an unfamiliar storefront and think to myself “that used to be something else.” But unless it’s a place I knew REALLY well, like CBGB (now a clothing store) or the Palladium (now an NYU dorm), I will not remember what that something else was.

Palladium…OMG talk about a blast from the past!! While I’ll admit there was no place in the world like the Palladium, it was never really my scene, just too much. Too much of everything. Wow…memories.

Barrom Surf & Turf = SlimJim & a Blind Robin. It’s a while since I’ve eaten a Blind Robbin. They never used to come in a wrapper. They were hunks stapled on a cardboard display. It took a lotta beer to wash them down.

1 Like

Picking my jaw up off the table. A sob for the good old days.

A friend worked near the David Barton Gym, formerly the Limelight and, before that, a church. The gym’s motto is, “Look better naked”, which they probably stole after a boozy night at Limelight.

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed that he opened a branch in that sad drafty mall. The best night I spent at Limelight was Jessica Hahn’s Chanukah party in 1990, followed by 3am breakfast at Lox Around the Clock.

SlimJim, aka Astronaut Steaks.

I never heard that SP. Do they make them from real astronauts?

1 Like

Pastis?
I have fond memories of the place back when meatpacking wasn’t what it is now…

Doesn’t sound familiar, but I really don’t remember so it’s possible. 10-12 years ago I spent many a nights having dinner at Old Homestead then drinks at One and The Gansevoort rooftop.

Loved that Singha…over ice!

Yep…“Big Squid”, basically a 3 foot long dried and presses squid roll up. I still get it in Philly at some of the Vietnamese groceries.
Growing up in the islands we had “Cutters” which was pickled pigs feet served at road side rum shops. peppered with scotch bonnets,raw onions and “green sauce” the really good feet would glue your fingers together for hours.

When in Bangkok…