Stovetop Potpourri

I was recently gifted some of this from my neighbors and was initially a bit perplexed. It was a small bag of cranberries, cloves, a few star anise, a large sprig of juniper, two lemon slices, and two cinnamon sticks.

You lightly simmer it on the stovetop in water for a while and it fills your house with an amazing holiday aroma. And after cooling you can store in the fridge and use it again for the next 2-3 days.

Like I said I was a bit perplexed and dubious as I have never seen anything like this before… but it works! My house now smells like Christmas, and it will again tomorrow. (c;

6 Likes

We were gifted something like that years ago, and it’s really nice. Ever since then, I’ve done the same with some cinnamon, cloves, and citrus peel in a small saucepan. Set an alarm to check the water level periodically, though, lest the pot run dry. You don’t want that to happen. That’s all I’m gonna say about that.

4 Likes

I have sometimes used pickling spices simmered in water on the stovetop to eradicate unpleasant smells (and yes - you do have to keep an eye on the water levels - that’s funny!) One summer we had a skunk wander through our garden and spray that horrible aroma just under our open windows in our large cathedral ceilinged family room. I put a crockpot with water and spices on the bar and let it simmer with the lid off for about a day - that and the ceiling fan to circulate the spiced air finally ridded us of the skunk smell.

1 Like

Am I the only one old enough to remember this being an entire industry?

There were sachets of different fragrances, and an array of electric and candle-based warmers.

I usually use citrus peels and a cinnamon stick

3 Likes

Like these?

But those were “unipurpose”. A pot of water, and a handful of herbs ( not herb ) can be used even when you are not into it.

And what about patchouli incense? Ughh. Don’t ask.

Yes! I had a tiny crock pot at one point, and at some other point had a cute little brass one that had a vented lid.

Now I just either boil some citrus and cinnamon in a saucepan or light a stick of the incense a friend of mine makes (im allergic to a million things but theirs is so clean it doesnt bother me)

Patchouli is ok when used sparingly in a blend, but yes, its been overused to cover smells that it doesnt actually cover all. Lol

1 Like

Be careful, or a disco ball will start growing from your ceiling!

I liked Crabtree & Evelyn’s Noel, but you could put it in potpourri containers, or reed diffusers, or put the oil ina alghtbulb ring. It’s been years since I’ve had any potpourri. It must be out there in the world somewhere. I’d like the one that covers up fish. So I can cook fish and not drive myself out of my own condo.

2 Likes