Storing Limes?

I’ve dried a bunch of orange zest. It is just quicker for me to throw in the freezer and I live on the Oregon coast the mold capital of the world.

2 Likes

I have found what works best for me is to wrap tightly in cling wrap, tightly twisting the ends.

Really? I buy fresh lemon and lime juice from the PA Dutch or a produce store and they keep well for at least two weeks, and they dont add anything to them. Maybe I just dont notice the bitter? (I do like bitter tastes so its possible.

I love bitter flavors, but not in my lime or lemon juice. I don’t know what the Amish do to their bottled juices as I don’t buy Amish, but the fresh squeezed citrus juice I personally produce in our house tastes off within a couple of days. Maybe it’s me :woman_shrugging:

I don’t have good luck with my lime juice or zest, even if freezing. I speculate it may be because I’ve resorted to juicing when the limes are starting to look a little gnarly. I might juice with a little too much enthusiasm and get some pith in the juice unintentionally. So, I don’t do it anymore, just rely on fresh. I use Nellie and Joe’s key lime juice for pies though, and it keeps fine. I sometimes use fresh lime for the KLP’s though.

1 Like

You can freeze them whole, though if you microwave them to thaw, remember that hot limes will squirt when punctured.

2 Likes

I doubt my citrus bottle is magical, most likely it’s that my taste buds are crap!! :smiley: (I suppose it does get bitter but it’s never bothered me)

We tend to have a ton of Mexican limes from our three trees in the fall. We juice them, put them in ice cube trays for small cubes, and freeze them. Then put them in freezer bags, but that part needs some work, they get sticky. But the flavor is the same.

1 Like