Store brands that do and don't make the cut

And bacon! How could I forget the bacon!

Iā€™m generally willing to at least try Kirkland brand items at Costco - generally they are very good. Kirkland olive oil, nuts, trash bags and shredded Mexiblend cheese (DHā€™s guilty pleasure) are always on my shopping list. There are quite a few house products I like from Trader Joeā€™s as well, especially their Pound Plus chocolate for baking and making my own chocolates, although the one near us is so inconveniently located that I almost never go. I have been less pleased with store brands from regular supermarkets, but then I buy very little prepared food - tough to buy store branded meat or fresh vegetables. I do buy store brand half and half when I forget to grab Land o Lakes at Costco - it tastes more or less the same once itā€™s in my coffee, and at that hour of the morning Iā€™m a lot less picky!

I love their organic EVOO!

Well, yes. But salted, roasted peanuts usually come shelled.

Costcoā€™s Kirkland silver tequila. $20 for 1.75 l. 100% blue agave. Mixes a fine margarita, nothing else Iā€™ve seen comes close. Recently had a promo, buy 2 @ 17.50 perā€¦

2 Likes

I havenā€™t found a store brand mustard (Giant) I really like. Grey Poupon for Dijon, Guldens for spicy brown.

Dry pasta store brands are not so great. I prefer Barilla and San Giorigo.

Costco and Samā€™s store brands are good.

Store brands for day to day cheese but specialty forā€¦wellā€¦special occasions.

Store brands generally okay for deli meat.

Perdue for chicken.

Your go to kirkland list mirrors my own.

I also like kirkland parm and romano cheeses.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been contemplating making hummus for the first time. The thought de-shelling has held me back. Any tips?

I do have a GEFU food mill. Would that be a better option than the vitamix or cuisinart?

Friend of mine from Rome says itā€™s some of the best EVOO available in the US.

Agreed! There are a few cheeses; not sure they are Kirkland.

Somthing like strevecccio.

And Kerrygold Maybe Dubliner.

This:

Former sheller. Dizengoff convert. Have never looked back.

1 Like

Mark (the peanut butter connoisseur in the family) is pretty sure that Walmartā€™s Honey Roasted Peanut Butter is Peter Pan Honey Roasted Peanut Butter, just with a different label.

Tabasco, Huy Fong Srirachi, Lea & Perrins Worchestershire sauceā€“I guess that specialty sauces are one thing where the flavors are distinctive among brands.

In coffee, I find the Shoprite brick espresso is fine, though I also get Cafe Bustelo and Yaucono (to support the PR coffee industry). (BTW, Cafe Bustelo is one of the few name brands you can find at Aldi.)

The only Shoprite item I ever found that was noticeably worse than other brands was a non-food item: sanitary pads. (The adhesive was not very adhesive.) However, that was years and years ago.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen Yaucono. coffee here on the West Coast. Is it similar to Cafe Bustelo, which we do get?