Store Brands [New Jersey]

Shop Rite now has three “store brands”, the latest being Bowl & Basket (which they unveiled maybe three or four months ago). Along with that, there is also Wholesome Pantry and Shop Rite Trading Post.

I, for one, am enjoying Bowl & Basket. It has a better look than the original Shop Rite Brand and prices have been excellent. $1.99 cases of water, $1 loaves of white and wheat bread, 89 cent bags of hot dog buns/hamburger rolls, and $2.99 a pound butter. The list goes on.

Just wanted to make everyone aware in case you have not noticed it and want to save a few bucks in these trying times.

Target has also unleashed an incredibly similar (nearly theft) store brand called Grow and Gather. Looks like all places are getting on the same page, offering “new look” and more “organic” looking store brands that stand out even amongst more well-known brands of certain items.

And as an aside, while Trading Post is not discount-based, they make pretty good sauces and marinades (from ethnic to standard salad dressings), including red and vodka pasta sauces that to me rival the best of jar sauces out there. They also do a wonderful 10 pound bag of basmati rice which ranges in price but is usually $9.99.

3 Likes

I sent this to two friends who think like I do…

Clearing out pics on my phone and found this, from ShopRite. Just shaking my head because I think they switched the colors simply to make the rhyme. :crazy_face:

So for someone like me who has always bought the unsalted package, I’m going to reach for the blue one. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I’m locked and loaded

3 Likes

No, I think it was to match Breakstone’s color coding, which is red for unsalted, blue for salted. (I had commented to Mark ages ago that it was very confusing to have them reversed. Sort of like if some coffee brand decided to use green for regular and brown for decaf.)

3 Likes

Ohhhhh interesting I didn’t know that was their store brand, we’ve got that butter in our draw too!

1 Like

A different store brand question: Why is it that there are store brand versions of Rice Chex and Corn Chex, but not of Wheat Chex?

There could be several reasons, however the most likely is shelf space. If Wheat Chex doesn’t fly of the shelf as-is they aren’t going to dedicate more shelf space to something that doesn’t sell that well. So my assumption would be it’s not a very popular item to begin with so how much more of it do you want to carry? Shelf space is gold in a supermarket and they want to stick with products that move.

2 Likes

An excellent theory (really). But how do you explain these, which I saw yesterday in ShopRite? (We’re doomed, by the way.)

1 Like

Well the original question was regarding generic store brands, both of your examples are from General Mills and Post, both are regarded as “name brands”. For your examples specifically those are market testers, new items being given a shot to see what their pull thru (sales) rate will be. If they do well, they will become regular items on the shelves. Then after awhile if they do well enough, they could become a store brand like “Bowl and Basket Smooches”.

1 Like

Tim Hortons Timbit cereal is a thing at Canadian grocery stores, now, too.

1 Like

As time goes on I am having issues with B&B as Shoprite is pushing their own brand at higher prices. This has resulted in other brands being less available or at higher prices than they were. Brands replaced are selling for much more and are offered for sale less often.
Frozen shrimp, tissues, rainbow carrots, peeled garlic, baked goods, seltzer, are some of the items that have been affected. Seems like Shoprite is forcing their brands, including Dearborn at the expense of consumer choice.

2 Likes

Greed triumphs over customer focus - YET AGAIN. Film at 11. Vote with those feet.

2 Likes

If both B&B and the other brands are higher in price, that sounds more like the general price increases we’ve been seeing lately.

1 Like

One of the good values at Shoprite. It’s not all bad. In the Goya aisle.

3 Likes