[Stockbridge, MA] Red Lion

We’d made a reservation using their online system. We’d had a confirmation. But they had no record of it. This does not endear a place to me. Fortunately, they did have a table available within a very short time, so all was well again…

Good bread was brought quickly, including flatbreads and a sourdough roll. And then a salad to start for my companion in life – rocket and frisee, candied nuts, a scattering of blue cheese, apple and watermelon radish. The various elements contrasted nicely with each other. For the other, ravioli was excellent. Thin pasta, cooked perfectly to “al dente”. They were filled with squash, a bit too sweet for my taste buds, but in a nice veggie broth.

We both went with the same main course – a classic roast turkey plate. Three generous slices, topped with gravy. Stuffing, green beans and cranberry sauce to go with it. And very good mashed potato. I’m not usually a fan of restaurant mash – they add too much to the spuds, turning it into a slop, but here, it’s pretty much just potato mashed (and all the better for it).

Only one of us wanted dessert – a very generous serving of apple pie. Good pastry, lots of apple and a very restrained hand meant that cinnamon was, thankfully, just a hint of background flavour. It came with vanilla ice cream.

To finish, there was excellent espresso.

2 Likes