Stock, the magic elixir

I do, but I suppose you can always argue if I make basic stock or complex stock. Anyway, the most made stocks at my home are. Not going to spell everything out, but none are single main ingredient stock.

1. Cantonese supreme stock: pork, chicken…
  2. Wonton stock: pork, dried fish…
  3. Dashi: seaweed and dried fish…
  4. Shoyu ramen stock: chicken, dried fish and seaweed…

I think it just comes down to see if we want to make very basic stocks and then mix and match different stocks later, or simply go for premixed stock.

3 Likes

Great recipe. Very similar to what I’ve used in the past. Wonderful soup.

I mix all the time.

Only things that do not go together are mammals versus their aquatic cousins.

Pork, beef, chicken, duck, pigeon, etc. all play well together.

Fish heads, crab, lobster all play well togehter.

But pork and lobster do not. And it’s not a kosher thing, either. :wink:

3 Likes

Huh. I would say that is not true for me.
The traditional (and IMO the best) stock for serving Wonton has both Pork Bones, Dried Fish and sometimes Shrimp Shells/Heads.
Broth for Bún Bò Huế has both Shrimp Paste, Pork, Beef and/or Chicken in the Stock
The broth I make for Paella is Shrimp and Chicken.
To name a few.

1 Like

Yes, that’s traditional Chinese Three Delight preparation (or 三鲜), but that’s the soup or broth, not stock that we are talking about.

You’d the same with Three Delight Dumplings (or 三鲜餃子), but that doesn’t mean that if making stock combining all three would provide the elixir one is looking for.

But then, as always, you do you. :+1:

This is regarding both quality and safety.

I made some seriously gelatinous chicken stock last weekend ( chilled, I can scoop it like stiff ice cream), with a mix of raw chicken breast bones, raw chicken feet, and a few raw pork bones. I strained and chilled quickly before refrigerating, and reduced further and strained again a few days later. Its been about four or five days since I last boiled it, and want to know what my options are. I usually freeze in ice cube trays, but I am really short on ice cube trays, fridge and freezer space, not to mention time and patience.

I thought I had read somewhere that you can extend refrigerator time by boiling it every three or four days, but I can’t find the source, and most sources say four days in the fridge.

I also found this. The writing is…difficult.

https://www.myhumblekitchen.com/2014/11/keep-homemade-broth-preserved-6-months-canning-freezing-required/

Does that sound right?

Any other thoughts regarding next steps?

2 Likes

I freeze flat in small ziplock bags. Poke the corners in at some midway point if you can. Then stand them up for longer storage.

3 Likes

I freeze stock in one-quart screw top plastic containers. When I need some, I remove the lid and put it into the microwave for about five minutes. I pour out what I need then put it back into the freezer. It does not stay in the danger zone, 40°F to 140°F, long enough to go bad.

1 Like

Apologies. "The writing is…difficult. " referred to a different author.

Thank you! Are they regular zip lock or freezer? Can you describe how you fill the bags? Do you chill it first?

You can use either. The former are cheaper, but if using them I pack a few into a larger freezer bag after they’ve frozen flat.

Yes, cool first definitely, but chilling not necessary (though often the case if it’s stock I meant to use so it’s been in the fridge).

A tray or sheet pan underneath helps the bags stay flat.

ETA: @shrinkrap I have also frozen liquids in small bowls on a tray, then emptied those into a larger freezer bag for longer storage. Like large ice cubes, I guess.

2 Likes

I also use Ziplocs. Though I do not poke any holes in them. I let it cool a while then freeze flat with no air in the bag and then store them stacked upright

1 Like

To clarify, I wasn’t suggesting anyone poke holes – rather to avoid sharp corners by pressing them in when semi-frozen so they are less likely to turn into a pointy corner of weakness when you’re moving the bags or things around them. More important with thinner bags.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. That makes total sense we now.
I was wondering what you were on about!:grin:

I have been using this recipe …https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-to-cook/how-to-make-shellfish-stock
for crab and shrimp shells…it’s easy to customize and comes out great every time. I used it for a coconut / mango/ lychee shrimp soup, and it was amazing

2 Likes

I remember seeing that… but as long as back in Chowhound days. It is true. I once ran out of refrigerator space (or maybe just plain busy). So I boil the stock once a day for two days.

1 Like

I have tried shrimp shell stock, just too powerful for me. I haven’t tried crab shells. Interesting idea.

1 Like